Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MxOne Antivirus. Trojan or False-Positive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

In short, I wanted a portable antivirus for my USB (the new computers at the school I go to have NO antivirus), and MxOne SEEMED like a good idea. However, upon download, McAfee (it's on a 30-day subscription) immediately detected a trojan and restarted my computer to remove it. So here I am, on a dual-booted Linux, trying to find out if it's safe to go back to Vista. (Xp is on here too, if it matters.) Were the two anti viruses just conflicting? It was just one plain .exe file, and I didn't run any installers or anything, so I'm really not trusting it, nor do I think I should be. What should I do now? And if it turns out anything managed to infect my files or registry, how do I remove it?

I had my flash drive in too... :/ Man, that was really stupid. KNEW I should have cancelled that download the moment I clicked Yes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C.Kyuubi

C.Kyuubi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Linux Ubuntu 10.10 scanned my hard drives for errors. I reloaded it on a Live CD which I am using now. I am almost positive I have an infection. The trojan does not seem to have taken any of my passwords...yet. If anybody knows any programs I can use to clean my disk, it would be very much appreciated. I have these tools to use in CD-Rs:

-Puppy Linux 5.11 Live CD
-Ubuntu Linux 10.10 Live CD
-ComboFix, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, Vundofix, SuperAntispyware, and some other antimalware programs I can't remember right now. Yeah...I've dealt with this before. ~_~ Recently.
-Some CD burning software. I'm not completely above salvaging what I can and reinstalling the Vista OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users