Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Dying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MasterCheif

MasterCheif

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hey guys my monitor is slowly fading away. Now I know that most people would say not to dare try to fix a monitor, but I want to know how, if there is a way to fix a dying monitor, regardless of the risks.
Thanks in advance for any replies to this topic. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

There is always a way, but will the cost out way the price of a new monitor. Shop rate around here is $65/hr plus parts.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

a used 17" monitor is about 50.00 at a local used PC store, if there are any near you.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:33 PM

Here a "17 is $20, "20 is $40. I was given 4 "15 when I bought 2 "20. What do you do with a "15?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

MasterChief - The tube could be worn out or faulty, the HT circuit could be failing to produce enough potential to pull the electrons onto the screen, the 'heater' may be defective or a number of circuits could be at fault. In other words it's either the tube or the electronics.
Since about the only things in a monitor are the tube and the electronics then you might as well replace the whole thing. Fixing CRTs is a 'black art' and requires a different skillset to digital systems. Not something you can pick up by experiment imho.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 DI V2.0

DI V2.0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

I have had a little monitor repair training but I don't mess with them. At best you could fix the problem yourself for at least as much but probably more than another monitor would cost, from what I understand at worst you could discharge a large amount of electricity into your body potentially stopping your heart so I would buy another monitor. Monitors are getting ridiculously cheap, even the prices on decent LCD flat panels are pretty low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users