Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell ins. mini 910/ safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cpuburner

cpuburner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hello, I have my friends little Dell mini 910. It had a bunch of viruses on it when i first started fixing it. It also had corrupted and missing files. I'm proud to say that has been fixed. Thanks to malwarebytes/cleaner/glary until. So i thought i would perform a hard drive defrag. Well after it analyzed. Yikes. It has allot of red in the status bar.So i let it run the defrag. After it was done there was allot that was irremovable fragmented files. I also heard it better to run in safemode while defraging. Well this is my problem. When at the boot screen it allows two options 0 and 2 (o is boot options and 2 is for tests) i have tried F-8 with no luck. The keyboard uses a function key to press in order to use any of these other keys F1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9,f10 it a strange little computer. Is the no safemode on these? Also are these drives removable? Thanks for reading my post.

cpuburner

Edited by cpuburner, 05 January 2011 - 08:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

You have to be really fast on some systems.
Just keep hitting f8 even if it shoots kybd errors or what have you.
It does have safe mode assuming you are win XP.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 cpuburner

cpuburner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hi Frank,Yes it is running xp os. I have tried the Fn+f8 many times. It does nothing. By hitting 0 0r 2 gets me into bios. I have heard Fn+f10 resets everything back to factory settings. But i don't want that. I ran the regular defrag again and same outcome. It's pretty sad it says 44% file fragmentation. Is there software that does a better job of defraging? Is there a way to fix this by reinstall os and wiping the drive? Thank for the reply

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

Aside from what you perceive as defragmentation issues...is there anything wrong with system performance?

Louis

#5 Jay18

Jay18

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have a Dell Mini (Inspiron 910) in the shop. I just booted into Safe Mode by holding the Fn key and tapping the K(F8) key repeatedly, immediately after pressing the power button.

Try that and see if it works.

Also, they have a Mini PCI Express SSD hard drive that is removable, but there's not much you can do with it. Diagnostics have to be run from inside the machine. Also, I would not try to defrag it, since it is a SSD. It can be done, but it wears out the drive faster since defrag is an intensive read/write process. I personally don't think it's necessary, however, since read times on SSDs are almost instantaneous.

Edited by Jay18, 06 January 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#6 cpuburner

cpuburner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

Jay18 thank you. That worked I'm now in safe mode. Yes it must be done as soon as you press the power button. Hamluis yes the system now seems to be running without freezing up after i did the first defrag. I was just hoping the safe mode defrg would help bring a little more life back to this computer. My friends daughter does a little to much facebook on it. Even the Internet explorer header was renamed "IE brought to you by face book". It was so chock full of viruses. You name it it had it. :wacko: Also i see from goggling around these are known for having bad drives.I will let her run it tell it pukes.($63-80 @newegg) then replace that drive. Thanks again for the info everyone.

Update defrag in safe mode didn't help
any still at 44%fragmented files. :wacko:

Edited by cpuburner, 06 January 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#7 cpuburner

cpuburner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

OH can i go in and remove one of the larger fragmented files? would that help recover space?
(fragments 1,212 size107MB \windows\softwaredistribution...)

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

you have two choices:

1. delete The Entire softwaredistribution Tree And Lose Update History
2. Or delete The downloads Folder Only, Keeping The Update History Data File
(located In The Datastore Folder), And Take The Chance That You Don't Get
out-of-sync Of downloaded Files/not Installed.

If you care about Windows update working properly, then leave that folder alone.
If you don't care about Windows update (which I think you should) then delete.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#9 cpuburner

cpuburner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Ok thanks Frank. I will leave it alone.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

The Importance of Disk Defragmentation - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/the-importance-of-disk-defragmentation/

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users