Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Icons missing, or changing to classic windows icon?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kbphoto

kbphoto

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I have Windows live messenger and Skype and Microsoft Office, so far they're the only ones I noticed that are doing this. But when I open them, the icon in the taskbar shows a basic windows classic icon, it does not show the proper icon for these programs. I pin the program to the taskbar, and then unpin it, and it shows up correctly for a while, but then goes back to classic windows icon. How can I try and fix this?
Screenshot below

Posted Image

I have tried:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista/

All It did was change my startorb back to a windows logo, and change the windows live messenger icon back to a different windows icon. Screenshot below:

Before clearing cache:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

As you can see it changed my startorb back, and changed the icon for Windows Live Messenger. I have no idea what's causing this, but so far it seems to only be those programs. They appear fine in my dock, and on my desktop. But they do not work on my taskbar, or in my startmenu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users