Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[StartService] Failed to preform desired action. Error Code: 1068

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JStygar

JStygar

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

I am running Windows XP. I was having multiple problems with my computer that I resolved, but now I have another problem. When I try to Enable the Protection Module for Malwarebytes I get an error message. [StartService] Failed to preform desired action. Error Code: 1068. I have tried to review other post about this error, but can't seem to figure out what I am doing or what anyone is explaining. Please help! :wacko:

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2011 - 02:07 PM.
Moved from XP forum to AV, Firewall, Privacy Protection Products ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Did you try to reinstall malbytes?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Hi - Just to help with the answer from FrankOtheMountaiN , if you wish to reinstall a new copy Malwarebytes Antimalware -
Please do the following: If you already have a copy of the installer for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, delete it, you need to download a fresh copy of the latest version:

Click on Start and select Control Panel
Open Add/Remove Programs
Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Restart your computer very important
Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here
It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You must now reset any Scan and Update settings that you had prior to this as they will be removed -

Edited by noknojon, 05 January 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#4 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes as suggested. I did so a few times before posting my problem. I got in contact with Malwarebytes customer service, but their recommendation did not help. I am able to put in my ID and KEY, but the product will not enable the protection.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Hi,
Is this XP pro? or home?

I don't have malbytes pro, but I would check to see if a service is running or not (assuming it has one).

START/run/ (type this in:) services.msc

In the list of services, see if there is one referring to malware bytes, and see if it's enabled, and it not enabled, if it lets you enable it. (by selecting "start service).
See if it is set to automatic.

How long has this problem been happening. Do you have a restore point you could go to and see if it works there?
I know you had other problems, so don't take the time machine there!

Frank O' The Mountain

#6 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Malwarebytes is set as Automatic. It has only been happening for about two days. When I had problems with my computer I tried to run Malwarebytes to see what it said, but it wouldn't work. I tried to buy a new one, Pro, and ran into this problem after I entered my ID and Key. Unfortunately, my computer does not a restore point cause I have already tried running it. I wanted to see if anyone could help before I did a reinstall. :wacko:

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Is the service listed as stopped? Did you try to start it? In the left column it will say what state it is in.

Only other thing I can think of is...do you have something like zone alarm or similar program installed?

Frank O' The Mountain

#8 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

When I hit start it says "Could not start the MBAMservice on the Local Computer" and under that it says "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".

#9 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I don't have any other program running. I also changed the firewall to all it as an exception.

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

See what the dependent program is. There's a tab for dependencies. Maybe a clue here.

Frank O' The Mountain

#11 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

I didn't know how to look up the dependency, but I found it and it says "This program depends on the following system components" MBAM Protector.

#12 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Herumph.... found this on their forum:

This issue is usually cleared up by uninstalling, rebooting, running this utility, rebooting again, and then reinstalling and registering again with your license. Note that you may want to disable any other security software that you have installed while performing those steps, just in case they are causing issues (sometimes anti-virus software can interfere with the installation of drivers, such as the ones needed for MBAM to work properly).

Try that. I'm guessing the utility clears out the crap the installation left behind, like settings etc.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 06 January 2011 - 06:47 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#13 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Unfortunately, I have done this. I have actually uninstalled and reinstalled several times using the mbam-clean.exe.

#14 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

Only other thing I can think of as a test:

Is there another identity on this PC? If not make one and see if it works on that one.

Frank O' The Mountain

#15 JStygar

JStygar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

OMG, I created another account on my computer and it is working just fine. Everything is running perfectly. What could be wrong with my Admin account?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users