Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer REALLY Slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hyzoran

Hyzoran

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me with my computer problem.

Okay, I have thise problem with my computer, where everything, and I mean EVERYTHING runs slow.
Windows takes a really long time to load, and Whenever I try opening folders or programs, it sits there for a really long time before opening it. However, after opening it, I can open it again instantly as normal, making me believe that its a hard drive problem of some sort or some other hardware problem rather than a virus problem. Safe mode takes a long time to start up, but once it loads, it runs fine. However the next time I run safe mode, even safe mode runs really slow. My mom says that this happened to her when she was using this computer before and system restore fixed it. I have ran system restore as well and tried several dates. however none of them worked. My hard drive still has 433/1000 GBs left on it. I think windows may be corrupted? However, in task manager, proccesses seem to be using 2x the amount of CPU K that they used before this happened. Windows Explorer is using 44,000 k instead of 23,000 k that it used before. My CPU usage is at 50% just by sitting at the windows desktop. Also, CPU-Z hardware monitor does not show any hardware on it. I have also tried disk defragment. I do use this computer very often, and I hope its not a hardware issue from being used so much and its just a software issue.

Here are my Specs:

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavillion
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 2.66 Ghz 2670 Mhz
Ram: 8gbs
GPU(probably unrelated, but just in case.): Nvidia Geforce GT 9500

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:58 PM

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Hyzoran

Hyzoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Here is the fileAttached File  procexp.TXT   6.41KB   4 downloads

Edited by Hyzoran, 06 January 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 99.62%. More than perfect, so I'm not sure, where you see CPU being used at 50% level.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Hyzoran

Hyzoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

System Idle Process (CPU NOT used) is listed at 99.62%. More than perfect, so I'm not sure, where you see CPU being used at 50% level.

It does not say 50% at desktop anymore. However sometimes windows starts at normal speed, and when I try to run any program it freezes up. When I try to run any game, it says its using 750,000 k of my cpu. My computer runs fast and sometimes very slow, it seems to be ramdom.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

it says its using 750,000 k

You have plenty of RAM, so memory usage shouldn't be any concern.
The only item, you have to keep your eye on is CPU column.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

#7 Hyzoran

Hyzoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Well nvm, it turns out that my hard drive is failing.

"SMART Short self test: Failed"

Well thanks for your help anyway, I better get backing up stuff before it dies completely.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Aha....thanks for posting back :)

My Website

#9 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

Your computer comes with built-in diagnostics from PC Doctor. Next time something like this happens, this should be your first level of diagnosing the problem. If you cannot locate the diagnostics on your computer, you can download the installer which will place the ISO for the DOS version of their diagnostics here. I would download that as soon as you get your computer up and running again, so that you have it in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users