Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7- updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tungsten34

Tungsten34

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Hi there,

I have windows 7 64 bit operating system and I have been running it since new with a language patch called 'vistalizator', which works very well, until it comes to downloading updates for windows 7. For some time now I kept getting the message that 'You are not running genuine windows' which I kept ignoring until I got this program today which deleted the windows activation software and was supposed to allow me to catch up on all the updates that I am missing.

So when I tried to update windows 7 by clicking on 'start', then 'all programs' then 'windows update', when the page comes up, it looks like it is corrupted and I can't update anything. What can I do to allow me to do the updates for windows 7?

Edited by Tungsten34, 05 January 2011 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

You might try 'Fix it' http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Tungsten34

Tungsten34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hi there!

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the 'fix it' from Microsoft but sadly it didn't do anything. Afterwards, I noticed at the start the following info:

'System Tip - This article applies to a different version of Windows than the one you are using. Content in this article may not be relevant to you.Visit the Windows 7 Solution Center'

I checked below under 'applies to' and Windows 7 isn't on there.

Any other help is greatly appreciated...!

#4 w7pro

w7pro

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

Have you tried doing a system restore? I would suggest that and try updating your computer that way. Otherwise, if you have the disks, you should also try a clean install.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

#5 Tungsten34

Tungsten34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

Thanks again for your help. Sadly I don't have the disks since it is an OEM which was already loaded up onto the hard drive. I guess I will have to a complete re-install which means I will have to move all my data to another drive.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

See if a startup repair (run 3 times) will work http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users