Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring backup from CD in Backup and Restore Center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jennytalia

Jennytalia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

Windows Vista
Dell Inspiron 1545

I am trying to restore using two CD's I made in backup and restore center - one was a continuation of the other.
I have the disc in the drive, and I click 'restore files'
It tells me the disk containing the backup is unavailable. I do not see an option to change where the computer looks for the backup.

Viewing the files on disc one did not give me anything usable.

Googling has showed me several different ways to backup, but very little about how to restore (aside from 'click the button and follow the instructions'.)

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I am trying to restore using two CD's I made in backup and restore center

how are you trying to use them?, try rebooting with the disk in the tray see if it boots to the disk.
if it don't you may have to reset in bios to boot from cd/dvd 1st... http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/how-to-boot-from-a-cd/
reset when done..

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 05 January 2011 - 08:32 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Jennytalia

Jennytalia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:20 PM

I am trying to restore using two CD's I made in backup and restore center

how are you trying to use them?, try rebooting with the disk in the tray see if it boots to the disk.
if it don't you may have to reset in bios to boot from cd/dvd 1st... http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/how-to-boot-from-a-cd/
reset when done..

good luck

I was going into the backup and restore center, clicking the button that says 'restore', and not having any luck.
As it turns out, this post wound up being moot. I've upgraded to 7 and am now having a whole other list of headaches. :)
Thanks for the help anyway, I'm off to try to get help with this new problem.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

yes its never a good idea to put another os on top of a problem to try and solve a problem..
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users