Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I am getting DoS'd?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Well past few days I noticed my WiFi acting strange on my iPod, disconnecting sometimes.

And now my desktop just disconnected from internet for like 2 seconds. The disconnections never last more than a second for two. This has never happened before.

I did just put a WPA2 encryption on my WiFi would that cause anything? Before that it wasn't secured.

Anyway to tell if I am indeed getting Denial of Service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -`29

-`29

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

In XP, go to your control panel, and then Network Connections, right click the adapter that is used to get online, and click properties. In one of the tabs, you can select the network that you are trying to access, and then click properties. Set the proper encryption type, and the key.

Also, unplug your router, modem, and disable/reenable your adapter, as this may fix the problem

DoS is directed at a web server, I don't think it can be directed onto a home network.

Edited by -`29, 05 January 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

DoS is directed at a web server, I don't think it can be directed onto a home network.

A DoSA can be targeted at any PC on the Internet.

@ Kram B This sounds more like a temporary ISP problem. Perhaps nothing at all to do with your PC\router.

#4 Kram B

Kram B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

Maybe. But I have reasons for people to DoS me, so not sure.

If it continues I will assume it's a DoS.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

A properly done DoS would most likely knock you off line and keep you off for more then just a few seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users