Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Devices won't install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

I am having a problem with one of my computers. First let me preface and say that the processor fan was going bad and due to over heating of the processor I replaced the heatsink and fan on the processor.

Now ever since then...

Whenever a USB flash drive is plugged in, it goes through like its about to install and load but it doesn't. It recognizes the device yet, for example, it wont fully install it. It asks if windows wants to install the drivers for it and i click yes, but then it says it can't install the hardware. Any ideas?

Yes the flash drives work on other computers fine.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I would go to Device Manager...uninstall all USB controllers...reboot the system.

If these are flash drives, they are plugnplay...there should be no need to insstall drivers of any type.

Louis

#3 mdotdiddy

mdotdiddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.. I did go into device manager and uninstalled the device. After I even clicked "show hidden devices" just to make sure I got everything. And still when I plug in the usb flash drive it gives me the same messages and doesnt install and says it needs the driver.. however I know they are plug and play devices. its strange. I'm wondering if something could be wrong with the MoBo, due to the processor fan having problems and overheating. The usb light on the device doesnt light which might lead me to think that there isn't enough power going through to the device to finish the process and only has just enough to recognize the device. I'd hate to have to put in a new MoBo JUST for a usb device.. lol

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

A simple USB controller card...would resolve a problem with the motherboard's USB capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%20controller%20card&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users