Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selfimage - Hard Disk Imaging Utility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

Self Image

Current version: 1.0.1 build 48 (1.0.1.48)

SelfImage is the little hard drive utility with big aspirations.

SelfImage is capable of making an image file of a hard disk or hard disk partition, and can restore an image back to any drive or partition that doesn't have open files. Useful for making backups. Unlike dd for Windows (or cygwin), SelfImage is capable of creating an image of a partition that is currently in use.

Additionally, when run on Windows 2000 or XP, SelfImage can create images of partitions that Windows doesn't even recognize or have mounted on a drive letter. Perfect for the dual-boot system, you can create an image backup of a Linux partition directly from Windows.

Features include:

* Create 1:1 image files of any mounted (or unmounted on Windows 2000/XP) hard disk partition.
* Can create an image of an entire hard disk, including the master boot record, partition table, and all partitions (Windows 2000/XP)
* NEW Restore previously created images to any partition, even mounted ones, as long as it doesn't have open files.
* NEW On-the-fly compression accelerated with parallel CPU support to take advantage of today's hyperthreaded, multi-core and SMP systems.
* Multi-threaded design for maximum throughput and low CPU overhead.
* It's free software - free as in cost, and free as in freedom - released under the GNU General Public License.

SelfImage is a new project. As such, there are lots of plans for the future. Currently on the drawing board:

* IN-PROGRESS Skip reading a disk's "free space", treating it as if it were zero. This will decrease the size of a compressed image and make it process MUCH faster.
* IN-PROGRESS Network Block Device support to make images of disks on remote machines, and restore back to them.
* Restore capability:
o Creation of bootable restore media to restore to drives that can't be restored to from witin Windows
o Ability to read files from an image.
* Output file spanning for easier use of CD/DVD-R media
* Direct backup device output support (direct to CD/DVD/Tape)
* Your idea here!

Download Self Image

This software is still under development so use at own risk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the link!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:20 AM

Is it a manually backup, or does it run until stopped? Like a software RAID?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 stidyup

stidyup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

SelfImage
Hard disk imaging utility

Current version: 1.1.1 build 56 (1.1.1.56)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users