Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable CPU test

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

is there a bootable CD image like Memtest86+ for testing the CPU? I will sometimes get a blue screen that has the error involving a page fault in a nonpaged area so I want to see if its my CPU since MEMtest86+ v4.10 came back clean after running all day. I have tried to do a clean install of windows and it still gets the error after running for several hours.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Too early to worry about CPU at this point. What are your memory timings and voltage?

Pull one stick at a time and see if your BSODS stop. That is about the only surefire way to eliminate a bad stick as a cause. Memtest may locate a gross defect, but in reality it just isn't that great at finding small intermittent problems. I have run Memtest and the Intel memory tester and come up clean, and fixed the same systems by swapping out memory.

Did you make any other changes to hardware right before this started?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

No I didn't change anything. my system isn't even overclocked.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

#4 MadJester

MadJester

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

page fault suggests to me a software problem, which is odd since you formatted. you should perhaps check your hardrive as the page fault could reside in the paging file in the disk perhaps? Checkdisk. Just my hunch. Otherwise an unreliable power supply could also cause skrewy things to happen.

I also would not imagine that there are many general "CPU checking" programs (at least none that would be in any way conclusive) since the prospect of testing the CPU, which has billions of states is problematic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users