Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Won't Boot - Orange Flashing Light

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 judysw

judysw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:20 AM

I bought a Dell Dimension 8400 last year and it's great up to a point.
Occasionaly it will refuse to boot and will just display an orange flashing light on the box. I then have to hold the power button on to power off completely.
It does this when I haven't used it for a few days, when I've just used it for a few hours and other random times.
It also sometimes just dies when I am using it - sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a longer time. It will then go into refuse to boot mode as above.
I try and boot again and after a seemingly random number of times, usually as I'm about to hurl it out of the window it will boot up quite happily. It does not perfom chkdsk or any other diagnostics at this time.
I have scanned with AVG virus scan - no viruses. I have used adaware and Spybot remover so the machine is clean of spyware.
I have used Dell's hardware diagnostic software and the machine appears to be clean.
Is there anything else I can try please??????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:37 AM

Here's a quote from another post of mine. Please follow the directions in it and let us know what error messages that you find.

Next, please go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer. Once Event
Viewer opens there will be 3 categories listed in the left hand pane (Application, Security, and
System). Please click on each one (in turn) and view the messages for that category in the right
hand pane. Look for any error messages around the time of the last problem. Then right click on
the error and select "Properties". In the window that opens will be a text description of the
error - please copy it down and forward it to me.

The error text should generally be in the format of 0x0000007a - with the last 2 letters'numbers
changing depending upon the error. Also, usually another 4 sets of these numbers follows the
error message - they are important also. Finally, at times there is a file name mentioned with
the error message - please let me know what it is.

If there are too many errors to choose from, please let me know and we can proceed a bit
differently. Also, generally speaking, the usual location for this type of error will be in the
System category - but there is a possibility that it may be in the other areas. Please do not
erase your log files until we're finished troubleshooting this issue.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 judysw

judysw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ok I think this is about the last time it crashed -
Application log
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module lmpgvd.ax, version 2.0.0.91, fault address 0x0000d8b9.
Then there is another application error
Faulting application DRWTSN32.EXE, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module DBGHELP.DLL, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.
Then this message
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Thanks for your help

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

That's an error from the Application log in Event Viewer. If you can find the log file for Dr. Watson (I've gotta run right now so I can't find it's exact location) we can analyze that.

Try the System log (click on the word "System" in the left hand pane - then look for errors in the right hand pane).

Right now it looks to be a problem with an audio or video codec (the faulting module lmpgvd.ax points to this). What kind of audio/video software do you have on your system? When was last time that you updated or added codecs to them? To which program did you add them?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

judysw:
I had a problem with a computer at work that would not boot at all - Steady Flashing Amber. Turned out it was a problem with the power supply. I am not saying that is the problem you are having here, but I thought I would share the resource document I used to help troubleshoot the problem. Is your computer under warranty? If so, you may want to give Dell a call after you try all of our suggestions to rule out that it is software related.

Found this on the Dell Support site:
One Stop Troubleshooting/Dell Solution Network

Tree Number/Document #: 107419
(search by this number)

Power-on self-test (POST) is the initial process executed by the system BIOS. After all of the controllers on the system board are initialized and tested, the system BIOS transfers control to the operating system on the bootable media (such as the hard disk drive, floppy disk drive, etc.). In general, no POST/no video problems may be caused by one or more of the following:

* Defective power supply
* Loss of AC power or PC not plugged in
* Defective system board
* Shorted expansion board (riser)
* Defective or nonstandard DIMM or RDRAM
* Improperly-seated components

Power LED State Description

Off
Power is off, LED is blank.
Blinking Yellow - Initial state of LED at power up.
Indicates system has power, but the POWER_GOOD signal is not yet active.
If the Hard Drive LED is off, it is probable that the power supply needs to be replaced.
If the Hard Drive LED is on, it is probable that an onboard regulator or VRM has failed. Look at the diagnostic LEDs for further information.

Steady Yellow
Second state of the LED at power up. Indicates the POWER_GOOD signal is active, and it is probable that the power supply is fine. Look at the diagnostic LEDs for further information.

Steady Green
System is in S0 state, the normal power state of a functioning machine.
The BIOS will turn the LED to this state to indicate that it has started to fetch opcodes.

Blinking Green
System is in a low power state, either S1 or S3. Look at the diagnostic LEDs to determine which state the system is in.

Since your issue is intermittent, I also think usasma is on to something by checking your error logs.

Keep us posted.

Edited by Joshuacat, 09 December 2005 - 03:39 PM.

JC

#6 judysw

judysw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the hardware and have a look at the audio software. I'll get back to you.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

Here's the location of the Dr. Watson logfile:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\Drwtsn32.log

It's a plain text file, so it should be easy to copy and paste into a post

Here's a link that describes the tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;308538

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users