Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop up issues on Mac and PC

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 SaintFrances

SaintFrances

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

The problem: pop up websites that run BEHIND the main window I am using to browse the web. The only way I will know that the windows have popped up is if they start playing music or a video that I hear, or if I am closing down the main window to discover the sometimes several full screen pop up windows that have opened. I run pop-up blocker on by web browsers but they don't seem to be helping. Occasionally, I will also have a problem with a strange redirect/hijack of the main page I am browsing. It usually takes me to a page that has a window saying..."Complete a 30 second test." Here is the website from one of the redirects: hxxp://premium_.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIKDZBVZT6ABSN6MA&Expires=1294248787&Signature=ALw66iYOISS9QlEZ6A8kregMNSU%3D

I am having this problem on 2 different computers that I use at my home. One is a Mac running OSX and the other is a PC running Windows 7. The problem is a bit more frequent/severe on the PC, but I thought they might be related in some way as they connect to the same network at home. In an effort to fix the problem on my Mac, I wiped the hard drive clean and reinstalled OSX with the disc that came with the computer. After only just a few hours of using it, the problems seemed to have returned. I use Mozilla Firefox to browse the web on both systems.

On my PC I am running Avast Internet Security and I nearly always browse the web in "sandbox" mode, however this mode will sometimes cause problems with flash, so I occasionally browse outside of the sandbox. I do not have any antivirus running on the Mac as I thought it was relatively safe from viruses.

As a side note...recently my wife tried to install and run "Surprise.exe" thinking it was a Christmas card from a friend via email. These problems really started before she did that though.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 January 2011 - 09:42 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Please, if someone knows what might be causing this issue, or what I should do, I would appreciate your input. The problem is getting worse on my Mac. Sometimes the pop up pages will not allow me to close the pop up window and then I am forced to do a "force quit." I am wondering if it might be my IP address that is targeted. I tried doing a clean install of my OS and included software on my Mac from the disks that came with the computer. Within just a few hours the pop up issues were back just as before. I also connect to my wireless connection with an iPOD Touch sometimes, and the pop ups affect it too. However, when I am using my iPOD Touch at work, I never have the problem.

Thanks for your help in advance!

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hello SaintFrances,

Sorry for the delay. We've a lot of topics in this forum and sometimes things slip past us. I've contacted those that deal with the issues you are experiencing. I'm moving this topic to a different forum where tools not allowed in this forum can be run. You will have a helper shortly. The topic link remains the same.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Greetings SaintFrances and Welcome to the forums,

Please do the following:

Disable the active protection component of your antivirus and antispyware programs by following the directions that apply Here. Next, please download the free utility DDS from any of these locations...Here, Here...or Here.
Note - Some infections may prevent certain executable files from running on your computer. If one of these download locations results in a failed run of the utility, please try the next location until you find one that will work on your machine
Double click dds.scr to run the tool
  • When it completes, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it on your desktop.
  • Security programs must be disabled
  • Double click RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan
  • Check Drivers and Stealth Code,
  • Uncheck the rest, then click OK
  • When prompted to Select Disks for Scan, make sure C:\ is checked and click OK
  • Wait till the scanner has finished then go File > Save Report
  • Save the report somewhere you can find it. Click Close
  • Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in your next reply.
Note - You may get this warning, it is ok, just ignore it:
"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

Please remember to include the following logs in your next reply.
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • RKU Report

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#5 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. Should I be doing the things you describe on my Mac or my PC or both? I appreciate your input but am not sure you understand the nature of the problems I am experiencing. I do not want to go through all this work if it is not indicated for my specific problem. I do not experience any of these problems when I connect to the internet at work or any place other than my home internet provider. I was thinking that somehow it may be that my IP address is targeted. I have tried to get my IP address changed or reset. I even called my service provider and they are not able to change my IP address despite the fact that it is a dynamic IP.

Thanks again!

Edited by SaintFrances, 19 January 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#6 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

The previous instructions are related to your PC. The tools I requested you to use would not be supported for use on the MAC. The issue is most probably related to the hardware you are using to connect via your remote location with your ISP but there are, nonetheless, recent security issues with MAC that could also play a role. We won't learn anything without your cooperation however.

Perhaps you are correct. I thought I fully understood your problem but it just may be that your issue is beyond the scope of my expertise...unless, that is, I misunderstood what you personally have done already to date. I take it that your ISP has already given you instructions to reset your router? They most certainly should have, if they are worth their salt. If that is not the case, then I apologize and will defer to one of the other experts here who may be better qualified to render you assistance. For that matter, you might want to contact your ISP once more and give them an ear full for not offering the advice and step-by-step instructions as to how you should go about resetting your router.

The tools I've requested you to use would...should offer some insight into the more sinister aspect(s) of the issue you are having, should it be related to some surreptitious activity related to your local domain. Other than that, I would not be able to offer any other idea(s) as to what could possibly be behind this, and like you, I would not want to go through these steps if you don't want to cooperate. You do absolutely have that right and I fully understand your wishes. I might add...there is no one here who would offer any guarantee to you in one way or another.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed. Thanks!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#7 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

Ok, I suppose we should then proceed with the PC and leave the Mac off and not connected to the internet until the problem with the PC has been resolved. Hopefully using the tools on the PC will provide some insight into what might also be affecting the Mac.

As for resetting my IP, my service provider did attempt to do this for me over the phone with my assistance. I followed all of their steps but my IP address was still the same. I tried this a few different times with instructions I found on various websites as well with no change in my IP address. I called my provider again and asked to speak with someone in management who could actually make this happen. They finally told me that there is no way for them to reset my IP and simply gave me the email address of the complaint department if I wanted to file a formal complaint. Unfortunately this company is by far the most reputable and reliable internet service provider in my area, or I would have already switched.

My next post will contain the logs requested above.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by SaintFrances, 19 January 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#8 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFS_AMD64
Run by LSW at 20:26:56.37 on Wed 01/19/2011
Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7600.0.1252.1.1033.18.3885.2458 [GMT -8:00]

AV: avast! Internet Security *Disabled/Updated* {C37D8F93-0602-E43C-40AA-47DAD597F308}
SP: avast! Internet Security *Disabled/Updated* {781C6E77-2038-EBB2-7A1A-7CA8AE10B9B5}
SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
FW: avast! Internet Security *Disabled* {FB460EB6-4C6D-E564-6BF5-EEEF2B44B473}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\Windows\system32\wininit.exe
C:\Windows\system32\lsm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k RPCSS
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
C:\Windows\system32\FBAgent.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ASLDRSrv.exe
C:\Windows\system32\WLANExt.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKGFNEX\GFNEXSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe
C:\Program Files\P4G\BatteryLife.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Splendid\ACMON.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\SmartLogon\sensorsrv.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ACEngSvr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftvsa.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\AppSrv.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftlist.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\DMAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\ATKOSD.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\WDC.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Virtualization Handler\CVHSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Elantech\ETDCtrl.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AmIcoSingLun\AmIcoSinglun64.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\WiMAXCU.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3\E_IATIGCA.EXE
C:\Program Files\SRS Labs\SRS Premium Sound Control Panel\SRSPremiumPanel_64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTEM.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Media\DMedia.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControlUser.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Wireless Console 3\wcourier.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
C:\Program Files\Elantech\ETDCtrlHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Wireless Console 3\WimaxConsole.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\concentr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe
C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\wfcrun32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\AsScrPro.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ControlDeck\ControlDeck.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v3.0\WPF\PresentationFontCache.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Users\LSW\Desktop\dds.scr
C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uSearch Page = hxxp://www.google.com
uStart Page = hxxp://asus.msn.com
uDefault_Page_URL = hxxp://asus.msn.com
uSearch Bar = hxxp://www.google.com/ie
uDefault_Search_URL = hxxp://www.google.com/ie
uInternet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
uSearchAssistant = hxxp://www.google.com/ie
uSearchURL,(Default) = hxxp://www.google.com/search?q=%s
mWinlogon: Userinit=userinit.exe
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - No File
BHO: Search Helper: {6ebf7485-159f-4bff-a14f-b9e3aac4465b} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\Search Helper\SearchHelper.dll
BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper: {72853161-30c5-4d22-b7f9-0bbc1d38a37e} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper: {9030d464-4c02-4abf-8ecc-5164760863c6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
BHO: Skype Plug-In: {ae805869-2e5c-4ed4-8f7b-f1f7851a4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
BHO: Office Document Cache Handler: {b4f3a835-0e21-4959-ba22-42b3008e02ff} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper: {e15a8dc0-8516-42a1-81ea-dc94ec1acf10} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
TB: &Windows Live Toolbar: {21fa44ef-376d-4d53-9b0f-8a89d3229068} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Toolbar\wltcore.dll
uRun: [Epson Stylus NX420(Network)] C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATIGCA.EXE /FU "C:\Windows\TEMP\E_SE1A3.tmp" /EF "HKCU"
mRun: [UpdateLBPShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\LabelPrint" UpdateWithCreateOnce "Software\CyberLink\LabelPrint\2.5"
mRun: [UpdateP2GoShortCut] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
mRun: [ATKOSD2] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2\ATKOSD2.exe
mRun: [ATKMEDIA] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Media\DMedia.exe
mRun: [HControlUser] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\HControlUser.exe
mRun: [Wireless Console 3] C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\Wireless Console 3\wcourier.exe
mRun: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
mRun: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
mRun: [ConnectionCenter] "C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\concentr.exe" /startup
mRun: [EEventManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe"
mRun: [BCSSync] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices
mRun: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
mRun: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
StartupFolder: C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Roaming\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\ONENOT~1.LNK - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTEM.EXE
StartupFolder: C:\PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\Windows\STARTM~1\Programs\Startup\SRSPRE~1.LNK - C:\Windows\Installer\{E5CF6B9C-3ABE-43C9-9413-AD5FFC98F049}\NewShortcut5_21C7B668029A47458B27645FE6E4A715.exe
mPolicies-explorer: NoActiveDesktop = 1 (0x1)
mPolicies-explorer: NoActiveDesktopChanges = 1 (0x1)
mPolicies-system: ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin = 5 (0x5)
mPolicies-system: ConsentPromptBehaviorUser = 3 (0x3)
mPolicies-system: EnableUIADesktopToggle = 0 (0x0)
IE: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: Se&nd to OneNote - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
IE: {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - {5F7B1267-94A9-47F5-98DB-E99415F33AEC} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
IE: {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - {48E73304-E1D6-4330-914C-F5F514E3486C} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
IE: {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - {FFFDC614-B694-4AE6-AB38-5D6374584B52} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
IE: {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_22-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_20-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_22-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_22-windows-i586.cab
Filter: application/x-ica - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=euc-jp - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=ISO-8859-1 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=MS936 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=MS949 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=MS950 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=UTF-8 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica; charset=UTF8 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=euc-jp - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=ISO-8859-1 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=MS936 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=MS949 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=MS950 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=UTF-8 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: application/x-ica;charset=UTF8 - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: ica - {CFB6322E-CC85-4d1b-82C7-893888A236BC} - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Citrix\ICA Client\IcaMimeFilter.dll
Filter: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
Handler: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
Handler: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
SEH: Groove GFS Stub Execution Hook: {b5a7f190-dda6-4420-b3ba-52453494e6cd} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
BHO-X64: Windows Live Family Safety Browser Helper Class: {4f3ed5cd-0726-42a9-87f5-d13f3d2976ac} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Family Safety\fssbho.dll
BHO-X64: Windows Live Family Safety Browser Helper - No File
BHO-X64: Groove GFS Browser Helper: {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
BHO-X64: Office Document Cache Handler: {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
BHO-X64: URLRedirectionBHO - No File
TB-X64: {21FA44EF-376D-4D53-9B0F-8A89D3229068} - No File
mRun-x64: [ETDWare] %ProgramFiles%\Elantech\ETDCtrl.exe
mRun-x64: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
mRun-x64: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
mRun-x64: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
mRun-x64: [AmIcoSinglun64] C:\Program Files (x86)\AmIcoSingLun\AmIcoSinglun64.exe
mRun-x64: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\iFrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel Wireless Tray
mRun-x64: [IntelWirelessWiMAX] "C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\WiMAXCU.exe" /tasktray /nosplash
mRun-x64: [Setwallpaper] c:\programdata\SetWallpaper.cmd
SEH-X64: Groove GFS Stub Execution Hook: {B5A7F190-DDA6-4420-B3BA-52453494E6CD} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wlfbs4ef.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - www.google.com
FF - component: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{AB2CE124-6272-4b12-94A9-7303C7397BD1}\components\SkypeFfComponent.dll
FF - plugin: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\NPAUTHZ.DLL
FF - plugin: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\NPSPWRAP.DLL
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\plugin\npgeplugin.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Picasa3\npPicasa3.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\1.2.183.39\npGoogleOneClick8.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npdeployJava1.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npicaN.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\NPWLPG.dll
FF - plugin: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
FF - Ext: Default: {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}
FF - Ext: Skype extension: {AB2CE124-6272-4b12-94A9-7303C7397BD1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{AB2CE124-6272-4b12-94A9-7303C7397BD1}
FF - Ext: Java Console: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0022-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
FF - Ext: Java Console: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0020-ABCDEFFEDCBA}

============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R0 aswNdis;avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Service;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswNdis.sys [2010-11-25 12368]
R0 aswNdis2;avast! Firewall Core Firewall Service;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswNdis2.sys [2010-11-25 250448]
R1 aswFW;avast! TDI Firewall driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswFW.sys [2010-11-25 125520]
R1 aswSnx;aswSnx;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswSnx.sys [2010-11-25 472656]
R1 aswSP;aswSP;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2010-11-25 121936]
R1 ctxusbm;Citrix USB Monitor Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ctxusbm.sys [2010-7-14 87600]
R1 vwififlt;Virtual WiFi Filter Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vwififlt.sys [2009-7-13 59904]
R2 AFBAgent;AFBAgent;C:\Windows\System32\FBAgent.exe [2010-9-21 379520]
R2 ASMMAP64;ASMMAP64;C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKGFNEX\ASMMAP64.sys [2009-7-2 15416]
R2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2010-11-25 20048]
R2 aswMonFlt;aswMonFlt;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\aswMonFlt.sys [2010-11-25 61008]
R2 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-11-25 40384]
R2 cvhsvc;Client Virtualization Handler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Virtualization Handler\CVHSVC.EXE [2010-2-28 821664]
R2 DMAgent;Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Red Bend Device Management Service;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\DMAgent.exe [2010-6-7 408576]
R2 sftlist;Application Virtualization Client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftlist.exe [2010-4-24 483688]
R2 TurboB;Turbo Boost UI Monitor driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\TurboB.sys [2009-8-6 13784]
R2 UNS;Intel® Management & Security Application User Notification Service;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe [2010-9-21 2314240]
R2 WiMAXAppSrv;Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiMAX Service;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMAX\Bin\AppSrv.exe [2010-6-7 911872]
R3 bpenum;bpenum;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\bpenum.sys [2010-5-16 71168]
R3 bpmp;Intel® Centrino® WiMAX 6050 Series;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\bpmp.sys [2010-5-16 175104]
R3 bpusb;bpusb;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\bpusb.sys [2010-5-16 81920]
R3 ETD;ELAN PS/2 Port Input Device;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ETD.sys [2010-4-13 135560]
R3 HECIx64;Intel® Management Engine Interface;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\HECIx64.sys [2010-9-21 56344]
R3 Impcd;Impcd;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Impcd.sys [2010-2-26 158976]
R3 IntcDAud;Intel® Display Audio;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\IntcDAud.sys [2010-2-2 271872]
R3 L1C;NDIS Miniport Driver for Atheros AR813x/AR815x PCI-E Ethernet Controller;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\L1C62x64.sys [2010-3-4 75816]
R3 NETw5s64;Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5000 Series Adapter Driver for Windows 7 - 64 Bit;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\NETw5s64.sys [2010-3-17 7680512]
R3 Sftfs;Sftfs;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Sftfslh.sys [2010-4-24 721768]
R3 Sftplay;Sftplay;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Sftplaylh.sys [2010-4-24 269672]
R3 Sftredir;Sftredir;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Sftredirlh.sys [2010-4-24 25960]
R3 Sftvol;Sftvol;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Sftvollh.sys [2010-4-24 22376]
R3 sftvsa;Application Virtualization Service Agent;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftvsa.exe [2010-4-24 209768]
R3 vwifimp;Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Service;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vwifimp.sys [2009-7-13 17920]
R3 wdkmd;Intel WiDi KMD;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\WDKMD.sys [2010-6-18 39832]
S2 avast! Firewall;avast! Firewall;C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\afwServ.exe [2010-11-25 119200]
S2 clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32;Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe [2010-3-18 130384]
S2 clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_64;Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64;C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe [2010-3-18 138576]
S2 gupdate;Google Update Service (gupdate);C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-11-26 136176]
S3 AmUStor;AM USB Stroage Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\AmUStor.sys [2009-8-20 44032]
S3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-11-25 40384]
S3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe [2010-11-25 40384]
S3 BVRPMPR5a64;BVRPMPR5a64 NDIS Protocol Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\BVRPMPR5a64.SYS [2010-11-24 35840]
S3 fssfltr;fssfltr;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\fssfltr.sys [2010-9-21 61792]
S3 fsssvc;Windows Live Family Safety;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Family Safety\fsssvc.exe [2008-12-8 533344]
S3 Microsoft SharePoint Workspace Audit Service;Microsoft SharePoint Workspace Audit Service;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\GROOVE.EXE [2010-3-25 30969208]
S3 MyWiFiDHCPDNS;Wireless PAN DHCP Server;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\PanDhcpDns.exe [2010-3-5 340240]
S3 osppsvc;Office Software Protection Platform;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform\OSPPSVC.EXE [2010-1-9 4925184]
S3 SiSGbeLH;SiS191/SiS190 Ethernet Device NDIS 6.0 Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\SiSG664.sys [2009-6-10 56832]
S3 TurboBoost;TurboBoost;C:\Program Files\Intel\TurboBoost\TurboBoost.exe [2009-8-6 118672]
S3 USBAAPL64;Apple Mobile USB Driver;C:\Windows\System32\drivers\usbaapl64.sys [2010-9-28 51712]
S3 WatAdminSvc;Windows Activation Technologies Service;C:\Windows\System32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe [2010-11-26 1255736]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2011-01-16 05:22:59 720896 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\odbc32.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:59 573440 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\odbc32.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:59 495616 ----a-w- C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadox.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:59 466944 ----a-w- C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msadomd.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:59 1425408 ----a-w- C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:58 987136 ----a-w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:58 372736 ----a-w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msadox.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:58 352256 ----a-w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado\msadomd.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:58 258048 ----a-w- C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc\msadco.dll
2011-01-16 05:22:58 208896 ----a-w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\msadc\msadco.dll
2011-01-03 04:58:23 -------- d-----w- C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Apple Computer
2011-01-03 04:58:12 34152 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
2011-01-03 04:58:12 126312 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\GEARAspi64.dll
2011-01-03 04:58:12 107368 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\GEARAspi.dll
2011-01-03 04:57:52 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files\iPod
2011-01-03 04:57:51 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files\iTunes
2011-01-03 04:57:51 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes
2011-01-03 04:57:51 -------- d-----w- C:\PROGRA~3\{93E26451-CD9A-43A5-A2FA-C42392EA4001}
2011-01-03 04:55:56 -------- d-----w- C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Apple
2011-01-03 04:55:32 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files\Bonjour
2011-01-03 04:55:32 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour
2010-12-24 22:22:41 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Synchronization Services
2010-12-24 22:20:54 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8
2010-12-24 22:20:11 -------- d-----w- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services
2010-12-24 22:19:56 -------- d-----w- C:\Users\LSW\AppData\Local\Microsoft Help

==================== Find3M ====================

2010-12-03 03:57:28 472808 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\deployJava1.dll
2010-12-02 03:35:18 4280320 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\GPhotos.scr
2010-11-30 01:38:30 94208 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\QuickTimeVR.qtx
2010-11-30 01:38:30 69632 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\QuickTime.qts
2010-11-04 06:35:53 1194496 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll
2010-11-04 06:31:34 57856 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\licmgr10.dll
2010-11-04 05:52:17 978944 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\wininet.dll
2010-11-04 05:48:36 44544 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\licmgr10.dll
2010-11-04 05:16:14 482816 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\html.iec
2010-11-04 04:41:26 386048 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\html.iec
2010-11-04 04:35:37 1638912 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.tlb
2010-11-04 04:08:54 1638912 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\mshtml.tlb
2010-11-02 05:18:17 524288 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\wmicmiplugin.dll
2010-11-02 05:17:38 473600 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\taskcomp.dll
2010-11-02 05:17:38 1169408 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\taskschd.dll
2010-11-02 05:16:53 1114624 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\schedsvc.dll
2010-11-02 05:10:47 464384 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\taskeng.exe
2010-11-02 05:10:32 285696 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe
2010-11-02 04:40:36 496128 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\taskschd.dll
2010-11-02 04:40:36 305152 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\taskcomp.dll
2010-11-02 04:34:44 192000 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\taskeng.exe
2010-11-02 04:34:33 179712 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\schtasks.exe
2010-10-27 05:06:22 2048 ----a-w- C:\Windows\System32\tzres.dll
2010-10-27 04:32:36 2048 ----a-w- C:\Windows\SysWow64\tzres.dll

============= FINISH: 20:27:40.34 ===============
Attached File  Attach.txt   5.16KB   1 downloads

I could not run RKUnhooker. Each time I tried to run the program I got the following error message:
"Error loading driver, NTSTATUS code: 0xC000036B"

I made sure that my avast antivirus and windows firewalls were disabled and tried deleting then re-downloading RKUnhooker but the error message persists when I try to run the program.

#9 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

Thanks! In your original posting, it wasn't clear whether or not you had a 64bit operating system...and the log now shows me that you do so, you can abandon the effort to run RKU since we won't find a kernel rk on that system anyway...

The logs show me nothing that really rattles my cage so we will focus on the original idea that the router has been hijacked. By the way, it was the router I suggested that you reset, not the IP:

As for resetting my IP, my service provider did attempt to do this for me over the phone

...I take it that your ISP has already given you instructions to reset your router?

...we'll approach the issue from that angle in just a bit. First though, please uninstall the following software:
Java™ 6 Update 20
...you have two installations of Java and need only one. For that matter, the one you will have remaining after that uninstall direction above, is also out of date. You can update it though via the control panel. Open Java and navigate the UI. Via the "Update" tab, you should see an option or button for "Update Now". Click there and your update should begin.

Next, please download the latest firmware for the router from the manufacturer's site. Go into the router's setup via your browser and copy on paper all the critical settings in the router. Disconnect all systems attached to the router, wired or wireless. Disconnect the router from any gateway (it might be the gateway with some units provided by ISPs). Disconnect the router power supply and let sit for 15 minutes.

Next, on the rear, bottom or side of the router you should see a small button marked Reset. Depress the Reset button with some small pointed object (a bent paperclip will work), and plug the modem back into the power supply. Watch the LEDs on the front of the router and when they stop flashing the router has been reset and you can release the reset button. Connect the router to the gateway and systems. Upload the latest firmware and then reenter the critical settings manually. Do not restore a previously saved settings file...and if yours requires a password, DO NOT USE A DEFAULT PASSWORD...create a Strong Password.

You should check the router reset steps with the router manual first, but the steps I outlined are usually what is used. If the router was hacked, that should clear out the hack and the redirects should end. Try it, let's see what happens.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#10 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Ok when I get home today I will reset my router. However I recently replaced the router and was having the same problems with my old router as well. Could the cable modem be hacked?

#11 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Could the cable modem be hacked?

If your cable modem was provided to you by the cable company, I wouldn't suspect it. However, if you purchased it elsewhere, you have a problem. I doubt this is your issue though.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#12 SaintFrances

SaintFrances
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Problem appears to be fixed after a full day of regular use. Thank you SO MUCH!!! Both our Mac and PC are browsing the web beautifully!

#13 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Excellent...you did good work SaintFrances! You can delete these now:

DDS.scr
DDS.txt
Attach.txt
RKU

Now that your system is clean and running the way you expect, let's create a new restore point you can refer to should the need arise at some point in the future.

Please click "Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore". In the new window, check the 'Create a restore point' in the right pane and click "Next". In the "Restore point description" textbox, name your restore point to something you will easily recognize. I recommend something like yyyymmdd_Clean (ex. 20060101_Clean) Click "Create" and reboot your computer.

To assist in the prevention of malicious software intrusion and infections:

Please remember to keep antivirus software on board and always use it's real time protection feature. Run a complete system scan at least once a week...preferably in Safe mode.

If your antivirus program is a licensed version that is about to expire, you can consider using one of these available free on the public domain:
Microsoft Security Essentials
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic
Avast! 4 Home Edition

Those of us in the online safety/security community have tried and tested these programs to determine their abilities. Having in mind, nothing is ever a guarantee regarding computer security, these programs nevertheless, combined with the rest of these recommendations are certain to have an impact in helping to keep your system running free and clear. I personally have been completely satisfied from having tested and used each one of those at one time or another.

Although my personal preference is Avira Antivir, one should not rely just on one person's anecdotal account of the effectivness or efficiency of any one in particular but should determine which best suits their own needs.

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a software firewall built in and activated by default. And, just as with Windows XP, it's not quite the best defense, although it is a little better than it's predecessor.

Below you can choose from several of the freeware Firewalls available on the public domain. Even though you may have a Firewall already installed, keep this list handy should you choose not to renew your subscription for whatever reason.

You should always have at least (but not more than ) one of these types of third party firewalls running on board:
Sunbelt Personal Firewall
Zone Alarm Beware This download includes the Ask Toolbar...The ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker toolbar is powered by "Ask.com". The "Ask" search engine will cause "targeted" ads to be presented to you based upon the content of the web pages you visit, any personally identifiable information you have provided to "Ask.com", or keywords appearing in your search queries. Many security experts consider this type of behavior offensive...Windows 2k/XP/Vista
Outpost Free
Comodo...I highly recommend this firewall, but it may just be best suited for advanced users.

Stay updated with the most recent Windows patches using Microsoft's Windows Update. Make it easy on yourself, and set this feature to Automatic.

Using an alternate browser can reduce your chance of certain infections installing themselves. I recommend installing Mozilla Firefox. If you don't already have "Firefox", please consider installing and using this browser for surfing.

If you still wish to use Internet Explorer, please make sure you install SpywareBlaster (from above) to protect you from most ActiveX infections.

Run CCleaner often. The Yahoo Toolbar is included by default during the installation...if you DO NOT WANT IT, be sure to remove the check from the "Add CCleaner Yahoo! Toolbar and use CCleaner from your browser" option during installation setup or else just download the Slim version (no toolbar...last download link at the bottom of that page)...

Or if you just want to run your on board Disk Cleanup ("Start--> Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->Disk Cleanup" ), just open the utility and check off the following:
Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, and Temporary Files.

Don't forget to check your system's "defragmenter" settings. With Windows Vista, you have the option to set this as a scheduled event. It is best to have your system's "defrag" function scheduled for at least once a week.

So how did I get infected in the first place?
Regards, and Happy Surfing!

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

#14 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

This issue appears resolved and the thread is closed to prevent others from posting here.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.

mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users