Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 on Vista crashes after FireFox 3.6 was installed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SashaSez

SashaSez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

My school blackboard will not allow Internet Explorer (IE) users to open Office 2007 documents. Helpdesk sez something in IE keeps documents from opening. They sed I needed to install Mozilla Firefox to access Office 07 documents (I have no problem opening earlier version of Office documents on same system).

I downloaded FireFox and was able to access all Office documents, however, one of my classes uses Pearson Education software in which all my course content (ebook, assignments, lab, etc.) are accessed. When I tried to open the link for Pearson, I was redirected saying the product does not support Mozilla Firefox and that I need IE7 or 8 to access. When I try to open IE8, the browser screen opens and it immediately gives me a message box that says "Internet Explorer has stopped working". There is a "Close program" box to click on but instead I click the red X at the top right hand corner of the error message box. It immediately closes IE.

My operating system is Windows Vista and I have Microsoft Office 2007 on my laptop. I access the internet through free wireless service from my apartment complex and my antivirus software is AVG.

I was told that I should be able to have both browsers on my computer with no issues. Any suggestions? I had to uninstall Firefox so I could complete my assignments.

Edited by SashaSez, 06 January 2011 - 08:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SashaSez

SashaSez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Ok...figured out that if if you have IE8 installed and you install Mozilla Firefox, there is a box that is auto checked in Mozilla that says "Make FireFox your default browser". YOU MUST UNCHECK THIS BOX or it will cause IE8 to crash. Once I did that, I have no issues with both browsers on my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users