Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you ID this problem? (I'm stumped)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tupolev

tupolev

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Yesterday, I got a notice from my Norton Security Suite that an attack on my system was blocked (I have Windows 7). Shortly after, Norton gave me a notice that it had removed a program called "bloodhound.exe" and that my computer "is now secure"

I have a habit of running the Norton quick scan when I suspect a problem, and I run it repeatedly until it reads "no viruses or spyware found" Since the problem occurred, the quick scan says "23 errors detected and fixed". Norton continually has this message no matter how many times I run it.

I suspect there's some kind of embedded virus or mal-ware in my system, but I'm at a loss as to how to get it out.

Any suggestions would be welcome. (Thanks in advance)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

I know this is totally different than your virus as far as it doesn't affect your shortcuts, but it might help you to isolate the virus using 'Safe' Mode and the Task Manager.
https://sidjla.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pAhlIuJjQC_XUYM6RTl-LjThPUaAEkDlscbxF3MVbDaWfaiedYDtfpiNUqOmB1dCPVXqPMbAWH1Vfyys5ktgJKT9xVYO6MwjV/Virus_hidden-folders.JPG?psid=1

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Since the problem occurred, the quick scan says "23 errors detected and fixed".

What does it say those errors are?

#4 tupolev

tupolev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Oh hey, thanks for the responses.

Norton says they are "Tracking Cookies"

If I leave the system alone for a while, then run a quick scan, I get larger numbers of them (29, 39, et cetera) I can clean them out, but I can never get the number below 23 of the tracking cookies. Norton rates the risk they pose as "low" but it bothers me that I cannot get rid of them.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Are you using Internet Explorer?
If so, do you have internet options set to "preserve favorites website data" under the delete browsing history?

#6 tupolev

tupolev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Are you using Internet Explorer?
If so, do you have internet options set to "preserve favorites website data" under the delete browsing history?

I do

I unchecked "preserve favorites" and cleared cache, then ran the scan again, and it fixed the problem.

Thank you so much Polabar, and Zuhl. That really helped.

Edited by tupolev, 05 January 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

You're Welcome! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users