Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interactive Services message when printing error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 prr

prr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

I am running Windows 7 and printing from an HP LaserJet 1018. Whenever the paper tray is empty in the middle of a print job, the printer sends a message to my computer. But instead of allowing me to read it, I have to click on a message that asks if I want to read it. I do, and the monitor blacks out for 4 seconds or so; I read the message, click close, then go back again for another 4 seconds of blackout. Is there a way to get Windows to just let me read the message, without forcing me to black out the monitor like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Try going to Control Panel> User Accounts> Change User Account Control Settings and changing the setting to the second one from the bottom where it says " (do not dim my desktop)
Note that doing so will give you less warning when something malicious attacks your computer, so if it does not help, be sure and reset it to your previous setting.

#3 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

Thanks polabear, but the UAC was already turned off--it was set to the bottom level.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Is it a Windows message box or an HP software message box?

#5 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

A windows message box, not HP.

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

Ok, try this:

Start >run >services.msc
double-click the "Interactive Services Detection" service and set it to disabled.

#7 prr

prr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for your replies, but that disables teh notification entirely. In other words, no message is sent at all. What I'm trying to do here is simply get Windows to let me view the notification without twice blacking out my monitor for 4-5 seconds each time. I'm not trying to simply not view any messages; some crucial information (about another problem) might need to get through to me at some point in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users