Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons on Desktop generic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul62

Paul62

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

Yesterday, most of my desktop icons became generic. And I got two icons desktop.ini on the desktop.
First, most of the icons (a.o. the Office Icons) looked like in attachment 1. Then, they changed and now they look as in attachment 2 (this is a screenshot of part of my desktop).

This is most probably linked to what I had done just before. I tried since hours to install the HP software for my Officejet 7310 All-In-One but always got error codes. To resolve this, I had to do several things :

- Activate the Windows Installer (for some reason, this was not active but closed)

- Although I was logged in, as always, with an administrator account, I was not able to give full control rights to the folder c:\Program Files (x86). In order to do this, I took ownership of this folder.
I also ran following command lines :
takeown /f "C:\Program Files (x86)" /r /d n
icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)" /grant administrators:F /t

When running these commands, it worked for a number of subfolders (of Program Files (x86) ) but not for all of them. I got the message that this would create inconsistencies. But it was too late...

The HP Software could finally be installed, but then I noticed the problem with my icons.

I already have run - without success - the download I found in another post related to this topic :

"Automatically Rebuild the Icon Cache
NOTE: Thank you to Chris Sanders (aka Zidane24) for this updated BAT file version.
1. Click on the download button below to download the file below.
Rebuild_Icon_Cache.bat
2. Save the file to your desktop, and run it.
3. Click on Run when prompted.
4. Follow the instructions in the command prompt to rebuild the Icon Cache "

I tried to change the icon of the Office Icons, but this is not possible (the option is grey). When I try to do this with e.g. the icon of Windows Live Mail, I get the message : can't find the file %SystemRoot%\Installer\{2869F5EA-93C3-48E5-80DF-DB696BC84A91}\wlmail.exe

In a subfolder of Windows\Installer\ I find the following : NewShortcut1.A6CC6977_F7B4_4C0B_9510_BCD847D4BDB2.exe
(modified yesterday).

How could I proceed to solve this icon problem and get the original icons back?

Thanks in advance for any useful hints.

Paul

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Have you rebooted since running the .bat file?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yes, I have rebooted, even twice.

Kind regards,
Paul

Edited by Paul62, 05 January 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

Try to manually fix them http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Dear Jacee,

I tried to manually fix the icons with the link you gave me, but unfortunately it didn't change anything, the icons remain generic.

I have the impression that the problem is linked to the fact that I activated the Windows Installer. This seems plausible as I find the following .exe in a subfolder of Windows\Installer\ named {1EC71BFB-01A3-4239-B6AF-B1AE656B15C0I}: NewShortcut1.A6CC6977_F7B4_4C0B_9510_BCD847D4BDB2.exe
(modified at the moment the problems began).
The generic icons are mainly those of Office, Windows Live (Mail & Messenger) (besides some others like Winzip, Itunes...)

Is that possible? Would this give you an idea of how to solve it?

Kind regards,
Paul

Edited by Paul62, 07 January 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#6 Paul62

Paul62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

I have done a system restore in the meantime. So the problem is 'solved'. Still, it is a pity that there was no other solution, since I lost some work....

Anyhow, many thanks for your help, Jacee.

Kind regards,
Paul

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'm glad the system restore worked. If you have to do this again, always back up your important files beforehand! :thumbup2:

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users