Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Person been banned and still his birthday should been showed

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:34 AM

I am in wonder: I saw just a member that celebration his birthday today, but he got on June 28 2010 a Ban.
I ask than myself a question of, why is the member's profile still here on the forum meanwhile he got a ban.?
Strange very strange, maybe is the word weird better for this.
I must saying that B.C. is not the only one that don't removed the accounts of banned members, other forums doing just like B.C.
But weird is it, indeed.
A forum is in the most cases educative, true absolute true, but the moderation or admin work is on the forums not so good.
I see this not only on English forums, on the forums in my country is it exact as the English forums.
When I was the owner of a forum and I did give a member a ban, than I did remove his or her account.
On my forum, when I had this, than there will be not dead profiles.
Dear Admins and Mods, I do know that you don't like my message, but what I did just tell, I am for 100% right.

:wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

.....but the moderation or admin work is on the forums not so good.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Having been behind the scenes here for a while I will say with absolute certainty that this is one of the best administrated sites I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.

With almost half a million registered Members it is a daunting task to say the least to maintain the more important aspects that go into running a site this size without worrying about such a small matter.

To find such a small thing and make it into an issue is just not worth it. IMO

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 January 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi RadioNorthsea,

At BC Banned members do not have automatically their account removed. Since there are only three Admins, this would involve a lot of work for them. Accounts are only removed when specifically requested
So, if a Banned member had set their birthday, this will still show up; the member profile still exists. Technically they are still members, just belonging to a membergroup that has no longer access to any of the board functions.

The BC Staff tries their best to keep the forum a nice and clean place and I like to think we're doing a good job at that.

I understand why you find it strange that the birthdays still do show up, but this is truly a small matter and not worth investigating a lot of time in (a birthday is not offending or otherwise breaking the rules, even if it is from a Banned member).

In case you have problems translating the above, please feel free to contact me for a translation! :)

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

With almost half a million registered Members it is a daunting task to say the least

I just did the math, we have a member-to-staff ratio of 27,000 to 1. I think I'm going to ask for a pay raise.Posted Image

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

I just did the math, we have a member-to-staff ratio of 27,000 to 1. I think I'm going to ask for a pay raise.Posted Image

...and Grinler will probably give you the same reaction he gave me.

You want a what? :hysterical:

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

I think I'm going to ask for a pay raise.Posted Image

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hi RadioNorthsea,

At BC Banned members do not have automatically their account removed. Since there are only three Admins, this would involve a lot of work for them. Accounts are only removed when specifically requested
So, if a Banned member had set their birthday, this will still show up; the member profile still exists. Technically they are still members, just belonging to a membergroup that has no longer access to any of the board functions.

The BC Staff tries their best to keep the forum a nice and clean place and I like to think we're doing a good job at that.

I understand why you find it strange that the birthdays still do show up, but this is truly a small matter and not worth investigating a lot of time in (a birthday is not offending or otherwise breaking the rules, even if it is from a Banned member).

In case you have problems translating the above, please feel free to contact me for a translation! :)

@ThunderZ,

First: I don't tell nasty words about B.C. I said only that I am in wonder that there are persons with a ban and still they birthdays will been showed.
I don't said that the Moderators and Administrators are not good, with my remarkable

but the moderation or admin work is on the forums not so good.

mean I, they are to slow with their job on the forum.
If you can see ThunderZ, told I forums.
So not only this forum.
But I was reading the messages and I understand that.

Dear Elise025, when an English post is in correct English, than I do understand what people tell.
That is more than logical, when I write in Dutch to you and the Dutch message is not a good message, than you don't understand me.
All good English messages understand I, I am only sometimes in troubles with grammar words and conjugations, but it is not a disaster, because you and others, understand what I tell and that is most important.
With the English posts what I see, I learn more English words.
By practice and when you doing this everyday, than the strange language will be easier for people they are not from that country, in my case, when I doing this everyday than my English will be better than now.
About the ban and still the birthdays from banned members, it is nasty when you see that and even confused.
Because, you see there is one that celebration his\her birthday, you take a look and than you do see member group Banned.
But again, I understand that it is a lot of work for the Admins or Mods for remove the banned accounts.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi RadioNorthsea, as they say in English; practice makes perfect! :)

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hi RadioNorthsea, as they say in English; practice makes perfect!

That is true Elise025, absolute true.
But practice makes not only perfect, it is also an honer and pleasure that I may visit this forum and make posts.
Why is this a pleasure? Well, the feeling what I have, that I am in the USA when I visit Bleeping Computer and make posts.
I am not in the Usa with my body, but I am in the Usa via the Digital Freeway, my mind is there.
Over 8 years than I am 65 years old, than I will visit the Usa real, at least, I hope that I can do this.
That is my pipe dream.
By the way, after February 15 this year, than I get another IP-adress.
I do hope that the Admins and you and your colleagues keep this in your mind.
So that I get than not a ban.
I tell this, because, last year said something to me, when a Forum master don't recognize your IP-adress than the possibility is there, that the member get a ban.
Yes I think that the guy has right.
I playing for safe, by telling this, I have now the guarantee that I can after that date, log in my account.

See you

#10 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

RadioNorthsea, if you've ever had to admin a large forum (by large I mean member base and daily activity as well as reputation) such as this one, then you'd likely have come across some serious spammer issues. A ban effectively stops a banned account from logging in. They can't create a new account with the same details as before, because it already exists. If you just delete their account, they will just rejoin, different nickname perhaps, but most will use same details and create more havoc for the staff. This is but one of the very valid and noteworthy reasons why banned members do not get purged on most respectable boards. Also it's a great wall of shame that shows that this staff team takes their members safe, pleasant and intelligent experiences at heart by removing the troublemakers. I can't think of a single good reason to purge a banned account. Birthdays? Inconsequential.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I say keep posting the birthdays of Banned members as a warning to the others! :angry:

#12 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:46 AM

@Galadriel and Capn Easy,

I have reading your messages and understand.
What you did tell me, is true, I must saying that I was not thinking correct with my remarkable.
Yes indeed, when you removed the account of a banned member, than the risk is there, that they will coming back and here we go again, you get than a lot of work.
The fact that when a member get a ban and the other people see this, yes it is possible that the others will be in shock.
I mean, other members don't make than spam posts.

I am not a spammer, if I understand, is it not necessary that I am in worse when I get a new IP-adress.
But it is what I did tell to Elisa025, it is better for playing safe, then that I had say to myself, I will see what will be happen.
When I had no made the mention of my IP-adress changing in February and I got than when I log in, a ban, than I will be not happen.
My thinking is: It is better that someone make mention to the Admin or Mod of a new IP-adress, so that the staff knows that it is the same member, than the staff thinks, waiting moment, another IP-adress, maybe is this a spammer or a Hacker.
We're on Internet and you people do know that Hackers can doing this sort things.
Alright, I do know enough and if I told to you, I understand and I take it, if it is.
Thank you for the replies.
:busy:

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,820 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:52 AM

I am not a spammer, if I understand, is it not necessary that I am in worse when I get a new IP-adress.

Don't worry, changing an IP address is not a thing that can get you banned. :) If I'm not at home and I want to access BC from a public computer, I can do so without a problem, even if I'm using a different IP address.

regards, Elise

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Don't worry, changing an IP address is not a thing that can get you banned. :)

Considering that the vast majority of internet users don't have a static IP, this is a good thing.

#15 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Don't worry, changing an IP address is not a thing that can get you banned. :) If I'm not at home and I want to access BC from a public computer, I can do so without a problem, even if I'm using a different IP address.

Okay, that is glad for hearing, but for the same, it was else.
I thought that can be happen, because there are many bad people on Internet, people they will be give nasty things to another, people they will not write messages for help others, but take care that the others read the spam if the Admin or Mod don't see that, so that the member(s) see this and that the spammer can get the computer information of the person(s) for know or what.
Think at Rogue software, just what Quietman did give as information.
When the member have an IP-adress for example: 195.123.hoppa.456 and than after a while 450.123.56.hahaha.23 as IP-adress, than is it from my eyes, more than logical, when the Admin or Mod, in the most cases, Admin, thinks, :blink: that IP-adress I don't know and member P. d. T. log in with another IP, is that the same man or......,I ban that IP-adress.
But Elise025, what you told, yes that is right, because you can visit someone and then visit the forum B.C. from another computer.
True, yes indeed.

Than Andrew,

Considering that the vast majority of internet users don't have a static IP, this is a good thing.

I am not agee with you, because for using Internet, you need an Internet Provider, when you have an Internet Provider, than you have a Static IP-adress.
The IP what an user got from the Provider, that can you not changing.
A static IP-adress is a permanent IP-adress.
But it is good for hearing that the forums and than for all B.C. don't make a point for different IP-adress.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users