Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This has confounded me.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaviePCRepair

DaviePCRepair

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I have a custom built computer that I put together myself for my aunt. I am having problems with windows 7 64-bit. Here is my problem. Everything on the computer works great with exception to anything that needs to be downloaded (ie. flash games, downloading programs, loading youtube videos, etc.) Basically, anything that requires something to load from the internet starts off with a great speed (~900kbps-1MBps) and suddenly drops to about 14kbps. I have checked drivers, I have checked firewall settings, I have checked port forwarding on the router, I have check port settings on the router, I have made special firewall rules, I have checked flash permissions. I am genuinely at a loss as to what the problem might be, so I present it to you all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Check your network adapter driver.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Hert

Hert

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Many file sharing and other sites do not support high-speed racing, but only minimal. This is the problem more often than not your ISP, and looking from rock that you need

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

maybe you are being throttled?
http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

#5 haarm

haarm

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

I had a similar problem on my 32-bit Win7 system. I got much improved speed by disabling the autotuning level

As administrator start command prompt (right-click and Run As Administrator):

>netsh interface tcp show global

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : automatic
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

I'm not sure what it was set to before I changed it (probably normal), but make note of your setting in case you want to change it back.

>netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I'm only relating something that helped me... If you're worried about changing a network setting try google autotuninglevel to find some info on what it does.

Good luck...
HAarm

#6 DaviePCRepair

DaviePCRepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Just now getting back to checking this. It isn't the ISP as my personal laptop connects just fine and the speed is optimal from my laptop (~850kbps-1MBps) for normal downloads from just about any site. I will check the auto tuning setting and see if tweaking it will improve it at all. I've also checked all drivers and have validated that they are up to date. Thanks for the tips, I will post any results that I find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users