Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start computer in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 daffersdave

daffersdave

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

Help Please.
I have been having trouble with a BSOD fairly regularly and then my sound driver wouldn't start.
I loaded a new driver, and another driver which was a motherboard driver (SIS) but I can't remember which one. My computer immediately had a BSOD and now whenever I try to start Windows Xp Pro immdiately after my log in it immediately has a BSOD.
I have tried loading in Safe Mode but I get a list of Drivers which stops at Drivers/mup.sys, and won't go any further, even after leaving for 2 hours.
Can anyone please help me, ( I am posting this from my laptop )
Daffers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

You could do a repair install of XP if you have a retail install disk.
You will have to do all of your windows updates again, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also reading that some people simply reset their bios jumper on the motherboard and this fixed the mup.sys hang.

Its Not mup.sys that is the problem. mup.sys is the last thing to successfully load.
After mup.sys is loaded windows begins allocating resources.

You have a resource/IRQ conflict I think. Are there any devices on your PC that you don't use?
If so, I would remove them. (dial up card for instance). Or anything plugged into usb other than kybd&mouse.

If you free up more resources, it might work itself out.

Go to your bios and turn things off that are not used (serial ports for instance, or ps2 mouse if you are not using one).

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 06 January 2011 - 04:03 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

Hi Frank:
Thanks for your advice. I have detached every external device, and the only plugs I have on to the computer are,Keyboard, Mouse, and Screen.
I have an XP Pro disc that I have booted from, and I have been into the repair function and reset the following files in DOS:- System, Software, Security, Sam and Default, and it still will not boot.
I have also gone in to the machine and removed a mountain of dust from around the processor and the motherboard, and also around the RAM Memory, but still to no avail.
Have you any further ideas?
Dave

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Please do the following to start with:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.

Posted Image

• Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
  • Record the error message details, and post in this thread.
    There may be a file name (such as ati3diag.dll) in the section under "Technical Information": If so, ensure that you include this in your report.
Posted Image

Edit: You said "I have been into the repair function and reset the following files in DOS:- System, Software, Security, Sam and Default"
Please explain exactly what you did, or provide a link to the instructions that you followed.

Edited by AustrAlien, 07 January 2011 - 06:31 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi:
Thank you for your reply, I have gone past the BSOD stage, as I am now not able to log on, I get to the Safe Mode ( and the other 4 options) Safe mode hangs at mup.sys and the other options just hang.
I am able to insert XP CD in the D Drive and can get to the recovery stage ®. At here I did the following.

"
* Boot your system from the XP CD. At the XP Setup screen press R to enter the Recovery Console.
* Select the installation you want to work with (Usually 1)
* Log on the the desired installation with the administratiors password.
If you don't know the password you can try just hitting Enter.

You should now be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

First we will make a new directory to use for backup and as a scratch area.

At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt enter:

* C:\WINDOWS>md mytmp
* Use the dir(ectory) command to verify the directory was created (Optional)

C:\WINDOWS>dir m*

Now we'll back up your current configuration(registry). We should not need those files anymore but it's good
just to be safe and it's free CYA.

Change your current working directory from C:\WINDOWS to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.

* C:\WINDOWS>cd system32\config

Your command prompt should now be: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>.

Now we will copy the folowing 5 regestry files.

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy system c:\windows\mytmp\system.bak
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy software c:\windows\mytmp\software.bak
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy security c:\windows\mytmp\security.bak
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy sam c:\windows\mytmp\sam.bak
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy default c:\windows\mytmp\default.bak

Now these files are backed up to \MYTMP. Execute the following dir command to check.

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>dir c:\windows\mytmp

You should see the five files listed:
default.bak
sam.bak
security.bak
software.bak
system.bak

It wouldn't be a bad idea to compare the file sizes with the originals, that's your choice.
To show the file sizes of the originals just execute the dir command.

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>dir

Restore base registry hive files from original installation

Now we will replace the registry with the base files created\saved during the initial windows XP installation.
This will enable us to boot the system normally and access the system restore files.

BTW, I know there are some Windows gurus out there that can restore the registry from your last checkpoint
using the recovery console without booting Windows XP itself but that is an even more tedious procedure and we
want to make this as painless as possible.
Besides, If you already know how to do that you are probably not reading this article anyway.

Enough digression. Back to business.

Your current directory should still be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. If not make it so!

Copy these five files.

Make sure you are in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG Directory and check your spelling!
Please, DO Not overwrite any files or folders in the C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR Directory!
Also note the single space between the filenames at the end of the following commands.
When you get the warning about overwriting the destination file, Press Y to allow it.

* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy C:\windows\repair\system system
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy C:\windows\repair\software software
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy C:\windows\repair\security security
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy C:\windows\repair\sam sam
* C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG>copy C:\windows\repair\default default

Now we should have good (albeit somewhat generic) registry files back in place.

Change the system date and boot XP with the base registry

* Exit the recovery console and restart, Before it boots enter your BIOS setup
* Change the date to the previous month. Make note of this date so we can reference it further along in the
process. It will make things easier. I'll explain later
* Save and exit BIOS setup

Don't boot the Windows CD. Do a normal non-safe mode boot from the hard drive.
Depending on your system you may need to take out the CD from your optical drive.

If you followed along precisely, Your previous registry was corrupted, The repair files from you previous windows XP
install were in good shape, and of course, there is no other show stoppers here, you should be greeted by something
you havn't seen in a while!

A Windows XP Welcome screen!

You may notice your user ID(s) are not one of the selections. This is because of the generic registry that is loaded.

Note: System Restore is turned on by default. The following procedure assumes you have NOT turned off System
Restore.

Any further assiastance will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

I believe that you have used the instructions provided in the following link:
XP won't boot? Try manual registry restore

Since that proved to be of no benefit, please reverse the changes that you made by following the instructions provided (in the above link) near the bottom of the page under the heading "Fall back procedure ( If Needed ONLY ) - Pre-procedure Registry files restore".

Once you have done that ...
  • Attempt to start the system normally and describe what happens.
  • Attempt to start in Safe Mode and describe what happens.
  • Attempt the "Disable automatic restart" option and describe what happens.

Let me know the results, and we will proceed from there.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi AustrAlien:
Thanks for your quick reply, it probably helps that we are in the same time zone, I am in Tura Beach, down on the far south coast.

I have reversed the DOS as per your recommendations.

When I try to load in Safe Mode, it hangs at mup.sys.
When I try to load in Safe Mode with Networking, it hangs at mup.sys
When I try to load in Safe Mode with Command Prompt,it hangs at mup.sys
When I try to laod at last known good configuration, it just goes to a black screen.(it did use to have a white bar at the bottom but this dosen't come up now.
When I try to laod as Normal, if I enter before the count of secs ends, it hangs at that screen with the seconds static as when I pressed enter.
When I try to load as Normal, if I let the seconds reduce to 0, it then hangs at the screen showing zero.

You also asked me to disable automatic restart, where do I find this as I can't see anything in the BIOS. The computer is not automatically restarting, I am pressing the reset button to restart. When checking the BIOS I noticed that the "Reset Configuration Data" is disabled is this correct?
I also checked on the CPU temp after cleaning the dust and it is running at 42C, which I belive it was running at before.
You have been extremely helpful so far, and any further advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

I am in Tura Beach, down on the far south coast.

I had to look at a map to find it .... looks nice!

You said: "I am pressing the reset button to restart"
and "When I try to load as Normal, if I enter before the count of secs ends"
From that I assume you were being taken to the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" on each restart.

What happens after you have had the computer switched OFF, and then press the ON button. Are you still taken straight to the "Windows Advanced Options Menu"? If not, describe what happens.

You said: "You also asked me to disable automatic restart, where do I find this"
That is one of the options on the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" .... see image in my first post. Give it a try if it is available to you: Otherwise do not worry about it.

You said: "When checking the BIOS I noticed that the "Reset Configuration Data" is disabled is this correct?"
I would have to know more information before commenting on that. Please describe where you are looking in the BIOS Setup Menu, and what else is on the screen. What is the make and model of your computer?

You said: "I also checked on the CPU temp after cleaning the dust and it is running at 42C, which I believe it was running at before."
That's OK for now.

You are running Windows XP Pro: What Service Pack level? 2 or 3 ?

You said: "I have an XP Pro disc"
What Service Pack level is on the disk.

Can you remember anything of the information displayed on any of the BSOD screens that you have seen recently??

Edit
You said: "I loaded ... another driver which was a motherboard driver (SIS) but I can't remember which one. My computer immediately had a BSOD"
It would probably be helpful if you could give us some more details about this, since it seems to have caused the issue of not being able to boot the computer at all. Why were you wanting to load a SIS motherboard driver, and what was it in relation to .... audio, video, other ... ? Where did you get the new driver from? If you were to go back to the place where you got the driver, would you be able to pinpoint which one it was?

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 January 2011 - 01:31 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

When I start by pressing the On button, it takes me to the same screen as a reset, this screen says " We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software changed might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpextedly, or was automatically shut to protect files & folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't suree what caused the problwm, choose Srat Windows Normally etc etc.

I have tried using the F8 key, and I can get in to the advanced screen, I have turned off the automatic restart on this screen and pressed enter. I then get a screen that says select operating system, I am only presented with Microsoft Windows XP Professional when I press enter, it hangs on a black screen. I also have an option at the bottom of" for troubleshooting and advanced start up option for Windows press F8. When I do this I go back to the Adanced Options Menu. When I press to Start Windows Normally it still hangs with a black screen. When I press to Start with Last Known Good Config, it still hangs on a black screen.

The Reset Config Data is in the PNP/PCI Configuratios, and according to my manual the default condition is diabled. The Manual says "If you enable this itewm and restart the system, any Plug and Play configuration data stored in the BIOS set up is cleared from the memory. I have left this alone but mainly mentioned it as a possible.

My initial problem started from not getting any sound, and I noticed in the BIOS under SIS OnChip PCI Device that the SIS AC97 Audio was disabled and the default was enabled, so I changed this to enabled, but I fear this might have been too late.

My computer was built in the UK by a company called Novatech. The Motherboard is a SIS-648, the processor is a Pentium 4 2600, and I have a 8oGB Maxtor (6YO80L0) Hard Drive. I have 1024 of Ram Memory, I also have a Sony (CRX 22) CD-RW, and an Atapi 16xMax DVD-ROM Drive. The Motherboard is using a Phoenix - Award BIOS, and I have a Tornado GeForce FX Graphics Card.

The blue screens that I was getting related to out of date Drivers, and when I lost the sound this is the Driver that I thought I would need. I had previously ran Parelogic Health Check that told me that 4 Drivers were out of date, one of which was the SIS AC97 Audio. I downloaded all of the 4 Drivers, I can really remember what the other 3 were, but I do recall that one of them was another SIS driver. I still couldn't get any sound and the device manager was saying that the driver was not working correctly. I uninstalled the driver from device manager, closed down and rebooted and tried to get the P & P to detect new hardware. It did but I got a message saying that the driver did not install correctly and the device my not work properly. I went through this procedure several times, sometimes by letting the computer find the hardware, and other times by going in to Add New Hardware from the Control Panel, each time brought the same result. I then thought that as the Motherboard was a SIS that perhaps the other driver needed to be updated, and that was the last BSOD that I got, and since then I have not been able to log on. These drivers came from Parelogic, I think that is how it is spelt, but I can't get in to the machine to tell you which one it was, as the scan result is only on my PC.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Dave

I am running XP Pro and I always update as soon as possible so I am sure I have service pack 3, and just before the computer died I had downloaded the latest security update. There were also 12 Non critical updates, and I had downloaded about 8 when my internet connection was interrupted. The service level on the Disc is Service Pack 2

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

I then thought that as the Motherboard was a SIS that perhaps the other driver needed to be updated, and that was the last BSOD that I got, and since then I have not been able to log on. These drivers came from Parelogic ... but I can't get in to the machine to tell you which one it was, as the scan result is only on my PC.

So, if you were able to get into your hard drive and have a look around among your folders and files, you would be able to find the 4 drivers that you downloaded from ParetoLogic? Where did you save the drivers ... on your desktop, in your Downloads folder, or other place ... ?

Please let me know the answer to the above as best you can. If we need to get into the hard drive, that is a fairly easy thing to do with either your XP CD or a Linux OS disk. When we do get in there, it would be handy to know what we are looking for, and where to look.

I am not entirely confident about your chances of being able to recover the existing system, and we should consider the alternatives that are available to you:
  • Repair installation of XP <<< I suspect that this may not work?
  • Re-installation of XP
What are your thoughts on having to reinstall the OS? Is there anything on the computer that is important/not backed up elsewhere, and would need to be recovered?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi:

I think they were either in the parelogic folder or the drivers folder, I know they were in a zip file and then I unzipped them, perhaps they went straight in to download file I do remember that after unzipping there was a sub folder of WDM or something like that.

I have been thinking along the lines that I might have to re-install XP. All of my files are backed up on an external hard drive (WD)except for the last 2 days of the PC, I do it on a regularly, possibly weekly, but I don't leave it connected all the time as it makes the PC run slowly. My only problem with doing a re-install is that I have several programmes of which I no longer have discs for, which might create a problem, although the major one, Microsoft Office, my daughter has the copy so I could I suppose get her to send it to me from Sydney.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

My computer was built in the UK by a company called Novatech. The Motherboard is a SIS-648, the processor is a Pentium 4 2600, and I have a 8oGB Maxtor (6YO80L0) Hard Drive. I have 1024 of Ram Memory, I also have a Sony (CRX 22) CD-RW, and an Atapi 16xMax DVD-ROM Drive. The Motherboard is using a Phoenix - Award BIOS, and I have a Tornado GeForce FX Graphics Card.

SIS-648 is the chipset used on the mobo.

Please take the side off the box and have a good look at the motherboard (mobo) with a good light (torch). It is often convenient to lay the box on its side on the floor or a table.

Please find the manufacturer of the mobo and the model code ... and the revision (usually written as Rev...). You will be looking for something like the following:
ECS 648FX-A
Asus P4S8X-X
648FX-A2
Epox 4SDA5+
ABIT SR7-8X

While you are having a good close look at the mobo, examine each of the capacitors (the small cylindrical objects standing up in various places on the mobo) ... looking for any signs of swelling/bulging at the end, and maybe even leaking (liquid or powder/corrosion). Let me know what you see.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Dave

I am just about ready to hit the sack for tonight. If you want to have a go ... at rescuing this thing, then you had better download Ubuntu. (download size 700MB)

Follow the directions on the website to burn it CD.

Let me know if/when you have done this and I will get back to you with the next step, tomorrow.

Regards

Edit: if download size is a problem, you could download Puppy Linux instead. (download size 130MB)

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 January 2011 - 07:18 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

A XP repair install is worth a shot. It all hinges on the install disc recognizing the broken installation.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 08 January 2011 - 10:58 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#15 daffersdave

daffersdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Replying to AustrAlien.

The motherboard is a 648FX - AV1.0.

In regard to the capacitors the larger ones, of which there are 4 in 2 pairs of 2. On one of the pairs one appears to be very very slightly longer than its neighbour, although this might be a trick of light and I can't feel any difference with my nail.

They do have a degree of dust on them but they are close together and I can't get my fingers around them to clean all the dust from them Are these capacitors easily removed, if it is possible I could remove each one, clean it and replace them one at a time, if they just un-plug.

Apart from this possible very slight difference in height, I can't see any visible sign of deterioration, either bulging or leaking from any of the capacitorst

I am just going to download the file you recommended to create a disk from, but I will await your reply before I do anything, and I will let you know when the disk is ready.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users