Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Deleting User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. PH

Mr. PH

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

Hi,

My computer used to boot up without the Welcome screen, and I had to enter a username and password to log into accounts. My username was "admin" and I logged into an account with a different name "John" (which had administrator privileges) for example. This worked fine and I didn't have any problems. But I decided to try changing my password using the Ctrl+Alt+Del pop-up menu. (It had the options to Lock down Computer, switch to Task Manager, Change passwords, Shutdown, etc. But now when I use Ctrl+Alt+Del, the Task Manager automatically pops up instead of my previous setting).

But instead of leaving admin as the username, I stupidly decided to change it to Administrator, thinking that it would just change names. So I saved/applied the settings and I logged back in this time using the new username I accidentally created Administrator (not admin) that logged into the same "John" user account. (Administrator had administrator privileges like my admin username did).

When I realized this, I tried to delete that Administrator username from the "delete user accounts" section in the control panel, but the Administrator account was not there. Because I could not see the Administrator username in the "delete user accounts" section in the control panel, I created a temporary user account from the control panel and named it "Temp". (It also had administrator privileges). I tried to use that Temp account to delete the Administrator username, but I still could not see that username.

How do I delete usernames ("admin" and "Administrator")I use to log into user accounts (like "John")? I only want to delete the Administrator username.

Thanks,
PH

Edit: It seems that I have two admin usernames though. How do I delete one of them? And I can't see the usernames, only the user accounts I created with those usernames (example "John" -created under admin, and "Temp" -created under Administrator).

Edit: OK I have found the way to delete accounts associated with different usernames.
It seems that I have to right-click on My Computer, then go to Properties, and then go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings under User Accounts. Thanks for the help!

Edited by Mr. PH, 05 January 2011 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Hi,
Try deleting or re-naming the said account in safe mode.
Regards Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Try a right-click on My Computer in Start menu, then click "Manage".
This should make your User Accounts more accessible
GL

Posted Image

#4 T-man356

T-man356

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

All windows xp computers have a secret account named "Administrator". However, usually, you would still log in to your normal account with you user name (i.e. John). The administrator account is an account that the computer uses to manage your files, folders, programs, and settings. Therefore, if you managed to delete it, Your computer would cease to work properly. Unless you have a particular problem with the way that you're logging in now, Your best course of action is to use it like it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users