Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding my Major for my Bachelors Degree

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 USAFgunner

USAFgunner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Well I am eight short weeks away from completing my Associates in Logistics Mgmt. However, most of the credits for the degree came from on the job skills and classes offered while in the military. After five long deployments to Iraq and losing some good friends I am afraid it is time to hang up the uniform and do whats right for my family...the 13 years I have spent on active duty I dont regret one bit but it is time to move on to bigger and better things. Once I get my CCAF (community college of the air force) degree I will be ready to jump into school with both feet. I know what I want to do but dont know exactly which degree to pursue to get the most bang for my buck. I want to go into IT/network infrastructure and security but they offer so many different degrees in computer science that I dont know exactly which one is right for me. I have always enjoyed tinkering with home PC's...fixing them, removing malware etc...but found after volunteering to be a Client Support Administrator for my squadron I realized I was in over my head because the Air Force and I imagine about every other corporation network uses some sort of standard desktop software package that severely limits what a user can do which is a good thing but it was a whole new beast to me to manage. I quickly realized I wasnt nearly as smart as I thought I was and realized school is definitely a must if this is something I want to do. So I turn to the people on this site that are way smarter than me and wanted to get your thoughts on what classes are a necessity or even suggest a course of study. I can go to pretty much any university I want but dont want to get half way through a course of study and realized I chose the wrong one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matthew180

matthew180

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

You are going to get a ton of opinions with a question like that... This is mine:

If I had stayed in the Navy, I could retire right now, 25 year before the civilian retirement age! Where else can you start a career at age 17 and retire by 42, and get SIX WEEKS of vacation a year?? You know how long it takes to earn 6 weeks of vacation in a civilian job? You have 13 years, so you are half way there!! Why give it up now? I only put in 6 years when I got out. I thought the same thing you do "time to *start* my life", but there was nothing mystical or magical waiting for me in the civilian world. I don't know how old you were when you started, but let me ask you this: do you think you could be retired in the civilian world in 12 years? Retirement for the military used to be 20 years, I think they bumped that to 25 years in 1992, but I don't think that has changed.

I always wanted to do my own thing, ie. have my own business. I managed to get 1 big break after I got out, but I blew it (too young and dumb to know what I had), and I've been trying to get a business to support myself ever since. In the mean time I have had to get a "day job" and it sucks. Some people want to work for someone else their whole lives, I don't.

As for college, I really don't think much of it. I'm self-taught and never went to college, so I'm a little biased. However, how many people do you know who actually *work* in the field of their college degree? How many graduates are flipping burgers? To me, the biggest reason to attend a college would be to interact with like-minded people. Some of the best businesses are started by people who met in college. For that social interaction I'm jealous. In observing a lot of friends and family who did go to college, I'm skeptical that I would have actually learned much from the institution itself, but that's just me. I don't wait to be told "ok, now you can learn xyx..." If I want to know something, I go buy a bunch of books, Google, read, ask questions in forums, get my hands dirty, etc. I take myself to college every time there is something I want to learn about, but don't yet know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users