Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiplying Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nancyj

nancyj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

good grief. I downloaded some photos from my camera, and somehow made separate shortcuts for each one. when I tried to delete them from the desktop, they just reproduce! I have copies of copies of copies. Dell won't/can't help. Microsoft wants to charge me.... please help. I ran the virus detector and spyware detector, and nothing came up. My desktop is littered with hundreds of shortcuts.
thanks,
NJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jord67

jord67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

Hi, I am having the same problem. Yesterday when I started up the computer- Bam - my desktop was filled with multiple icons. No viruses discovered by Freedom Antivirus. A few malicious programs discovered and destroyed by Trend Micro Anti Spyware. I got rid of a few unwanted programs and made sure all of my virus and antispyware definitions were updated. I also deleted all of the unwanted icons. Rebooted and BAM - all back again - even some icons from programs that I just deleted (the icon had changed to a generic box but the name was the same) . It seems too coincidental for both of us to have this problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I googled this problem and nothing came up. Thanks in advance. Jord

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:35 AM

Using System Restore might be a good option to restore your desktop to normal (but you will lose any applications installed between now and the restore date).

It would be helpfulif you could both list what Anti-virus and anti-spyware products you have installed.
Update them and run them in Safe Mode.

Better do some online scans as well:

Online trojan scanner: http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Here are some links to free online Anti-Virus scans. They do take some time to load and run and in some cases you can only use Internet Explorer, with ActiveX enabled, to access them but they are an excellent support for your existing anti-virus program.

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address. Requires Active-X components to be installed. Approx 12MB download.

BitDefender online scan - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Internet Explorer only. Must agree to a EULA. Need to allow installation of an Active X component.Some of the options are not clearly explained.

McAfee online scan - http://www.pcpitstop.com/freescan/

Security Advisor (?) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)
or http://housecall.antivirus.com/ (IE only)

Kaspersky - http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
Link to 'Online Scan' at the top rhs of the page. Requires IE and Active-X components.
"does not scan RAM, boot sectors and MBRs, so it cannot detect malicious code located in these areas."

Run two or three of them and post the results back here.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 nancyj

nancyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for taking time to help. I turned on my computer and the desk top was covered with shortcuts.
Don't knw what it means to run in safemode, so I just ran them.

I have adaware and also loaded and ran spybot. Cleaned whatever they found. I also have Microsoft Anti spyware and aol spyware...loaded and ran Trojan scan, and it came out clean. I'm on dial up, so I did not download McAffee, but if you think I should, I will.
I'll re-run adaware and spybot while I am waiting for replies,

NJ

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:38 PM

nancyj - here's my standard blurb which tells you how to use Safe Mode:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 nancyj

nancyj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

Well, hours later, after downloading the software, going into safe mode, and a system restore...and when I rebooted, volia! no shortcuts.

I'll return if there are further complications,

thanks,
thanks.
NJ :thumbsup:

#7 jord67

jord67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded another Antiviral program (Avast) that was able to run in Safe Mode. My internet provider supplied anti viral was not able to run in safe mode. One virus was found and taken care of. I also turned off my restore mode on XP. I figured that was also where these old icons were coming from. Deleted everything. Then returned "restore " back on. No more extra icons!!! I was unable to use any on line antiviral programs to search - they would start to work but then there would be a communication error. So I just downloaded one - I will update the virus definitions too. However there is a conflict of running 2 antiviral programs and I can't seem to stop both programs from automatically loading (except in Safe mode). Thanks again Jord :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:03 PM

nancyj - That's good news! :thumbsup:

Jord67 - There is indeed a conflict in running two anti-virus programs:

Use 1 Anti-Virus program, 1 Firewall and many Anti-Spyware programs, supplemented by occasional online Anti-Virus scans.

The consensus here is that turning off your system restore points should only be done if advised by a malware expert. (Despite the fact that many virus removal guides tell you to do this) However, since it helped to fix your problem - well done! :flowers:

Keep you anti-virus and anti-spyware programs updated regularly and try running some of the online scans again to be sure you're clean.

:trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users