Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linksys wireless problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ravergirl

ravergirl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

Forgive me if I am not knowledgeable about these topics but here is my problem. I have a dell latitude laptop e6410 and I have been connecting to a wireless network at work which is hosted by the university I attend and when I get home to a wireless network (ad hoc I think) called linksys. Recently, I have had problems when I come home from school and try to connect to linksys. Right now it won't connect at all. I had to "borrow" a neighbor's wireless signal to even get on here. When I open the wireless networks available, it still shows linksys, but when I try to connect it will not. It gives me a message saying attempting to connect to linksys... but the tray icon does not display the acquiring network address animation, and then it simply says unable to connect to linksys.

I tried restarting the computer, repairing the connection, disabling and enabling the connection, running command line prompts like ipconfig /renew, release, flushdns and so forth, but it has no effect. I tried messing around in the profiles section of the wifi utility but I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm afraid I will make it worse. I could not locate the wireless card (yes, i'm that inept!) so I dunno even what kind I have. The wifi I can connect to is band 802.11b and my linksys is band 802.11g. Someone please help me. My neighbor's signal is terribly weak. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ravergirl

ravergirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

:(

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

turn off your wireless router. wait 20 sec. turn back on (reboot router)
you will have to do the release/renew thing afterwards or simply reboot your computer.

try that first

#4 ravergirl

ravergirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

hey! thanks. ummm... how do I do that? there is no physical router at my apartment like there is at work.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

explain how you connect to internet. is it your connection or are you piggy-backing on someone elses open wireless network.
if it is the latter the owner may have banned your machine from his open network.

#6 ravergirl

ravergirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

oh well, i guess it's a piggyback since i am not paying for it. how can I tell if they banned me?

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

If the wireless internet supplied by your apartment is not working, you will need to contact them to troubleshoot it. There isn't much we can do over a forum since you don't have access to the physical connection.

If you are using an internet connection that belongs to someone else, you are "piggy-backing" (as previously mentioned), which "is a legally and ethically controversial practice".

That being said, linksys routers are incredibly finicky and prone to problems from what I've seen.

Are you still having issues?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 ravergirl

ravergirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

yea. i have not been able to connect to that wireless since before I even posted this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users