Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Media Streaming/ps3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brandt35

brandt35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

My budget for the new computer is: 1000 to 1500 dollars. Would like to know if that budget is not reasonable for purpose though

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
The purpose for the new desktop will be to stream movies of up to HD quality over my wirless network to my ps3 flawlessly and without lag. My movies will be stored on my 1tb external hard drive and connected to the computer. (the hard drive supports usb 3.0 if that is important.) I have a netgear wireless g router but will be upgrading to a wireless N and am open to suggestions if anyone knows of a brand that might work better with the ps3.
I will also need the ability to rip dvd/blue ray to the computer or external hard drive.
This will be the most tasking job that my computer will need to do other than normal browsing and such.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
I tunes, media coverters, ps3 media serer or tversity, will not need fancy office stuff. Not sure what else is relevant

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Wife and kids do games online from facebook or other sites other than that we are mainly ps3 or 360 gamers

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Try to only keep the programs open that i need. Not super savy with computers so im not sure if the media serving would employ just one program. Looked at startup program list on current pc and thats a nightmare to look through. Startup programs on new computer will definately be the first thing i look at so i know what is necessary.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
I bought a 1tb external hard drive in order to keep that stuff off my computer.

Edited by brandt35, 05 January 2011 - 01:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Processor
Motherboard
Ram
Optical Drive
Case
Graphics Card
Hard Drive
Operating System

Total price: $1015.92 excluding shipping and tax.

Have a look at this router.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 brandt35

brandt35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for your work Killerx.
I have never put together my own machine. Im sure the hardest part is compatability and you have already done that for me.
Is it just a matter of putting the pieces together in the right order and installing software and an OS?
I do like learning about computers and researching them, but if this is too much for a novice would i be better going the traditional route? I have the confidence to do it if feasable.
Can you give me an idea of what a comparable already put together machine would cost?

Thank you for your time

#4 brandt35

brandt35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Also, if i went with that build
What about power supply?
What would i do for my wireless network? Would i just go with the wireless usb adapter that went with the router you suggested or would my current netgear wireless n work? Is there something to install internally for my wireless connection?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:45 AM

A pre built computer would have a whole range of cost. Putting the components together properly is very important in my opinion because the computer won't function properly, won't start up or damage a component. Sorry but i forgot to add a power supply for you by bad. For the internet you would use LAN which is connected to your router.

Power supply
Wireless Card

If you want to save some money i can change some parts because this system is capable of gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users