Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer is unusably slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 omini

omini

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Hello, i am pretty tech savvy but this has me stumped. i just bought a new desktop computer (on my laptop at the moment) and i set it all up and it working great. Then i remembered i should use the windows updater on it since it has never been updated. it showed 20 important updates, and after those were done my computer became so slow that it takes a few minutes just to open anything, like the control panel) so i checked if any other updates were available and 1 was, so hoping that would fix the problem i downloaded it. about 2 hours later it finished and problem is still not fixed. does anyone have any ideas? if any other info is needed i will be happy to give it. Thanks alot for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Go into updates and uninstall one at a time if you can, personally, i don't like updates to the operating sytem, i'd rather get a service pack release when it's out, and do a rebuild, i know you may not be able to, but remember the old rule, if it's not broke, don't fix it, updates a lot of times are security fixes, well, if you got good antivirus and firewall etc good browser updates, those i like then yer ok, so see if you can uninstall one at a time and check the dates, lemme know
Elvis has left the buidling...

#3 omini

omini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

thank you very much for the help, but while i was doing another security scan, i stopped the scan and was going to do what you said, but the computer started running perfectly. very strange. the scan did not turn up any threats of any kind either. i guess i am not of need of any help anymore, but i would like to know what caused it and how to avoid it from happening again

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,475 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

Did you restart your computer after the updates? If not, just restarting the computer could have remedied the problem.

If you are knowledgeable enough to be able to pick and choose the updates that you will allow to be loaded, then this can be one way to go about it. But for those that don't have this knowledge I would suggest allowing the automatic updates as these will for the most part be for your benefit. There are some updates that will not be applicable to all users, Net. Framework is a good example. These updates apply to specific applications, people that don't use these applications won't benefit from these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MadJester

MadJester

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

I once formatted an XP computer to a new windows installation from an old XP disk, went for dinner and by the time I got back the computer had malware on it. Don't ask me how but don't rule it out either ;)

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Go into updates and uninstall one at a time if you can, personally, i don't like updates to the operating sytem, i'd rather get a service pack release when it's out, and do a rebuild, i know you may not be able to, but remember the old rule, if it's not broke, don't fix it, updates a lot of times are security fixes, well, if you got good antivirus and firewall etc good browser updates, those i like then yer ok, so see if you can uninstall one at a time and check the dates, lemme know

While you are completely within your rights to have your opinion. Bleeping Computer will agree to disagree with you and takes a very different approach to Updates, as can be read here: National CyberSecurity Awareness Month Tip: Keep your operating system up-to-date!

As for the possible slowdown issue, as has been mentioned a restart may resolve the issue. If not then documenting what updates were done and googling the specific update or updates for others reporting issues. Also posting all the updates that were done here at Bleeping Computer in the proper OS forum and we can do our best to help you troubleshoot your issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Well if it is your Antivirus software that is crippling your system as you say, then what Antivirus software are you running?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users