Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 Pro vs. Home

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond A

Raymond A

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

I have an SP1 Pro OEM Disc that I bought (for $99!@#$%^&*()) and installed on my wife's computer and upgraded to SP3. Now (years later) there are corrupted .dll's (and particularly the windows installer msiexec.exe) that need to be replaced. So I searched and found the instructions to run scannow with the Windows XP disc
and it said please insert SP3 disc. So I downloaded the Windows XP SP3 ISO and burned it and (as if I am surprised) it needs to be XP pro to recognize the friggen .dll's. Do I need to make another ISO disc with Pro? and where do I get it?
I don't want to be a certified Microsoft Geek.
I already have 2 Ipods, 2 Ipads, and a Macbook Pro that give me Zero grief but she banks on the !@#$%^&*() PC.
Please Help

Edited by Raymond A, 04 January 2011 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

The SP3 files are the same for both Windows XP Home and XP Pro. Have you tried reinstalling SP3 over the existing copy?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

I have an SP1 Pro OEM Disc that I bought and installed on my wife's computer and upgraded to SP3

Hi -
When in doubt, you can always use the original SP1 CD for sfc /scannow to check and replace the basic .dll files -
You will not need to do further updates as you are not reinstalling SP1, just checking for, and replacing missing basic .dll files -

Thank You -

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

<<When in doubt, you can always use the original SP1 CD for sfc /scannow to check and replace the basic .dll files - >>

I don't think so :).

Both the sfc /scannow command and a repair install...apppear to need a disk that reflects the current state of the system...in order to accurately replace system files. If the system reflects SP3, then the disk used should also reflect SP3 system files...otherwise, the result will be older system files replacing newer ones. I don't believe Windows will allow this without balking.

<<So I downloaded the Windows XP SP3 ISO...>>

You cannot run sfc /scannow from an SP3 .iso...the .iso must be incorporated into a Windows XP install CD (slipstreamed) and then that CD can be used to run sfc /scannow or do a repair install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#5 Raymond A

Raymond A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

That is what I was afraid of. So can I build a Pro SP3 ISO and if so where do I get it. This is about to go on the "Too Hard Pile"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Take a look at Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Use the XP, SP1 CD as the base...include the files from SP3.

Result will be an install CD reflecting SP3.

Louis

#7 Raymond A

Raymond A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Can I slipstream SP3 to an XP Pro ISO? All I have is an OEM XP Pro which is on the machine as SP3 and the XP Home SP3 ISO which I burned last night.

Edited by Raymond A, 05 January 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

There is no legal XP Pro .iso file that I am aware of.

Post a link from which you obtained this .iso, please.

Louis

#9 Raymond A

Raymond A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

To be clear, I haven't downloaded the XP Pro iso. I just did a yahoo search for XP Pro ISO and the results indicated that they seemed available. The first thing I did was call microsoft to see if they would sell it. I fixed my installer problem with one of the registry fixers. If it hadn't worked I would now have 3 Macs instead of 2 Macs and a PC.
Thanks for all your help.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

• If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.
• If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.

Sorry hamluis, if I put my answer on sfc incorrectly -
This was only directed at how to repair the contents of the basic original .dll cache directory - As above from M/soft -
I took it that <<there are corrupted .dll's>> in the basic operating system -

To Raymond A - Please follow the posts from hamluis at this stage, unless there are .dll,s corrupted in the basic operating system (not SP3)

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 05 January 2011 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users