Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black bars on either side of screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tombomb

tombomb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Okay, this problem has been irritating me for quite some time now. My issue is this: I open a game called Ultima Online and click full screen with the highest resolution available. My result: a blown up play screen with two bars on each side of my screen about two inches thick cutting off my gameplay. I had this exact same issue with Call of Duty: Black Ops, and changing the resolution to 1080p quickly solved this. I also have a flickering problem with Ultima Online when I enter full screen, which many people have had issues with and few found solutions. A big thing with them is that they use Razor and that causes the flickering, but I do not use Razor... My question is, does anyone know how to fix this or have any suggestions I can try? My operating system is windows 7 64 bit, laptop toshiba qosmio x505-Q880, i7 processor, 18.4 inch HD display with a Nvidia GTS 360M graphics card, so my GPU is not the issue here. My uncle plays Ultima Online as well with the same operating system on a desktop with a 22 inch widescreen 1080p monitor and has no issues at all. the game looks great and works fine. He does use an AMD graphics card, so if there are any Nvidia Control Panel options I could change that would be an easy fix.

Things I have tried:
Reinstalling the game with a fresh download of the client
updating graphics driver (it's up to date)
playing with some of the graphics options in the Nvidia Control Panel, but alot of them I don't know what the do
tried turning off GPU acceleration in BIOS but I am not sure if that was done correctly, and I changed the settings back to default

Things to note:
My screen resolution is maxed at 1920x1080, so the solution is not changing my native resolution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tombomb

tombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

:o no responses? :(

#3 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Have you tried lowering your native resolution to see if that's the problem?

#4 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

You need to format the game's resolution to something in widescreen. Any resolutions like 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, are all 4:3 resolutions. You need something more along the lines of 1280x720, 1440x900, 1600x900, 1920x1080, etc.

#5 tombomb

tombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

i did try lowering my native resolution and that didn't work :/.

geek how do i format the game's resolution? it only has 3 in game options

#6 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Because of the game's age, you might be stuck with what you've got :/

#7 tombomb

tombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

thats what i would have went with, except my uncle has a 22 inch widescreen monitor and it works fine for him... :/ thats what really bothers me cuz i have an expensive ass laptop for gaming and it doesn't work on mine..lol.

#8 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

Is this any use?

http://www.uoguide.com/Enhanced_Client

allows resizing of the play area

Edited by 666philb, 09 January 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#9 tombomb

tombomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

yeah i use the enhanced client only because of the fact that you can change game window, otherwise i would use the classic one :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users