Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant HD usage/system cache leak

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jacob_

Jacob_

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I've been noticing constant HD usage for a few days now; also, the system cache increases in size until it takes up all available RAM and makes Windows unusable. I used a tool called CachemanXP to clear the cache, and it quickly filled up again.

I use AVG, don't use IE and don't download questionable programs so I don't think I have a malware problem. I didn't notice any strange processes/services.

Using Process Monitor I discovered that the system is constantly accessing various system files, the page file, and the MFT, I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

i can tell you that windows writes to the pagefile when ram fills up. windows normally reserves hard drive space the same size as your ram. a malware scan won't hurt. you can be infected just surfing the web today and not download anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users