Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Quistion, Need Real Answers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 googooflexy

googooflexy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Ok Guys, I need some help in figuring out a solution to a quistion I've really been wanting to know the answer too.
Ok, so I have a computer, it doesnt really matter what computer, but ive got one, and I want to be able to hook an internal hard drive up to it without putting it in the computer, I want to be able to hook the hard drive up to the computer from up to three feet away, while still using an internal hard drive, can you guys step by step explain a way for me to do this? or is there a "extension" type cord out there that i could use?

Thanks
James

Email address removed to protect you from spambots.~Joshuacat

Edited by Joshuacat, 08 December 2005 - 10:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Youll need a really really really long IDE extension cable, or if the case your using a sata drive a really long sata cable extensiona nd a long power connector. Why not just use an external usb hdd.

#3 googooflexy

googooflexy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

Im looking to find a way to make my primary hard drive (the internal one) boot from about 3 ft away from the comp

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

Dear Goo,

Sure you can have an external hard drive. Why do you want it to be you master? Hell you could be thousands of miles away and still connect to your computer.

You can have you existing computer and have an external drive just for you. It use's USB ports!

This is as easy as you going to a store.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:16 AM

You have made me curious. The longest IDE cable I have found is 36". You can locate it a PriceWatch, under cables.
Would you mind elaborating? I'm sure everyone is interested in your project. If you feel we will make fun, that is not the case. Everyone here from time to time has done something strange with thier computer, for no other reason than to play.
If you don't want to tell, that is your buiness. But you do have my attention.
Just to do it, I once took a 486 apart and mounted on the wall of my den. No case just parts and monitor sitting on my desk. It worked fine until I took it down.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 googooflexy

googooflexy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

I was interested In seeing if it would be possible to have a couple computers around my house, with a couple internal hard drives. one hard drive has Xp, and another has Linux, and I wanted to be able to switch them from comp to comp and just boot them up without the complicated proccess of putting them on the inside of the comp. I wanted to just be able to plug them from a couple feet away and boot the computer up without and hassle

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

You maybe interested in the "Hot swap cradle" approach. Severs have been using this for decades. I had two computers, 1 at work 1 at home, set up like this.Here is what I had in mind. You can find new and used on eBay.

http://www.pcssl.co.nz/documents/prodinfo/.../aedcusib35.htm
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users