Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which power supply will work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell GX280 midsize desktop computer and want to replace the PSU but am not sure which kind will work.

I am looking for something above 300W max output to support my new graphics card.

I think I need the older 20pin connection to the MOBO.
Yoshistr Support Team

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

Which GX280 chassis do you have? The desktop chassis or the mini chassis? Just making sure as the videocard you selected is a low profile card that fits both chassis.

Fullsize takes a regular ATX PSU, mini chassis takes a modified 1U chassis PSU.

Edit: I thought I replied to your other thread as well but can't find my post there.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 January 2011 - 07:18 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Yoshistr

Yoshistr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello dpunisher,

I have the midsize desktop chassis but I don't mind ripping it apart to fit everything since it is a personal desktop.
I purchased this PSU off amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0009Q56N6/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&index=3

I am sure it comes compatible for both 20 and 24 pin mobos but my main concern is if it will be able to handle both graphics
cards or if the current PSU is fine now and there is something else wrong with the computer.

Thanks dpunisher
Yoshistr Support Team

#4 Yoshistr

Yoshistr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

I still need help, if the graphics card was working while the cpu was originally booted then how
come everything stopped working after I restarted?
(Originally I installed the graphics card and it's drivers after the cpu posted and booted and
everything was working fine since I saw the new graphics card was active in device manager - missing
a single driver for audio support.)
Doesn't this mean the PSU was providing enough power for it but what could have went wrong when I restarted
the computer, the bios settings?
Yoshistr Support Team

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Have you tried to diagnose it yet?

Either turn on the PSU with the normal power switch, or unplug the 20 pin and connect the green wire to any ground (black). This should turn the power supply on. Grab a meter, unplug/use a spare molex (4 pin) connector and ck yellow- ground 12V, and red- ground 5V. See if you have power. It is hard for me to speculate with so little info.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users