Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony1s

Anthony1s

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hey,

First, i am using a compaq sr1320nx with 32 bit windows xp.

Last night, my computer froze and the hard drive wasnt making noises. I powered off the computer and restarted. When trying to boot windows, i get a black screen and no hard drive noises. I dont see any error messages or beeps. I can still acess the BIOS and system recovery and boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD, however, safe mode and everything else wont boot. I am thinking i have a C: drive problem but am not 100% sure. I would like to fix it myself or at least learn as much as i can before taking it to a tech. Can someone here help me diagnose and fix this? Recovering my hard drive info would be great too as I have evidence on it to help convict someone.

I did see the boot problems guide pinned to the forum, but i would like some more specific help. Also, all i have is my android phone with a 16gb sd card. Id probably be booting any diagnostic software off of it. If that's possible.

Thanks,
Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

Follow up. SMART shows no errors on my Maxtor 6y080l0. Using my Ubuntu LiveCD, I was able to transfer all the files i needed to my phones sd card. Ubuntu can read my C drive fine. Any ideas why I cant boot Windows?

#3 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Alright, now that I saved to files I needed, i am running chkdsk, fixmbr, and fixboot. Trying to boot windows after each.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

good show Anthony, from what you have done so far you are a tech. sounds like you are getting close. keep us posted.

#5 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Lol i wouldnt say that yet. I ran fixmbr on the wrong device and lost my C drive. Haha. Now i get 'invalid partition table' when i start my comp and cant access recovery console. Is my C drive broke for good Now?? Ubuntu doesnt recognize it anymore. I dont have a cd with recovery console on it. Will running fixmbr on the correct device fix mwhat i did to the C drive?

Would doing this help...

Was gonna try this http://tuts4tech.net/2009/07/14/creating-a-usb-bootable-xp-recovery-console/ but using a different sdcard in my phone to boot from, and my ubuntu livecd to make it. And then run fixmbr on the correct device. Dont think it'll work in ubuntu tho. What is the correct device to run fixmbr? When i ran 'map' it listed 3 devices. If i dont select a device it will run fixmbr on my usb, since im booting recovery console from it. Dont want that.

Im not a tech at all haha. I just google a lot and have experience in helping hack android phones. Thanks for the compliment tho.

#6 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

FIXMBR just attempts to fix the master boot record, where the computer will attempt to read the hard drive sector.
What do you mean you ran FIXMBR on the wrong drive and lost your C drive?
You can use PartitionMagic off of a Linux live distro to fix your partition format or check if you accidently?? formatted the C drive.
I am not sure if your ubuntu cd has partitionmagic but I am fairly sure that the backtrack distro does.
Yoshistr Support Team

#7 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

What happened was...

i started recovery console, then choose option 3 (my c drive i believe) then typed 'fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0\partition2' or something like that. I specified whatever device 'map' listed as my C drive. Now I get 'invalid partition table' for whatever i try to boot (safe mode, windows, etc.)

Today, I made a cd with recovery console on it and when i run it i get H:/miniNT and H:/I386 as my two options, no option to get to the C: drive. I assume it's only reading my cd drive.

I'll check if i have partitionmagic on my ubuntu cd and figure out how to use it next.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

i'm thinking you may have a recovery partition there. anyway i believe ubuntu cd has g-parted on the disk which i don't believe will repair a messed partition table.
i have had great luck with Easeus free software and they have a bootable cd that claims it can repair partition tables at http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery-bootable-cd.htm

if you need to recover data from a lost partition Find and Mount is an awesome piece of free software
http://findandmount.com/

#9 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/anthony1s/IMG_20110105_200352.jpg

idk if that will help figure out what i did.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

well the recovery partition looks intact (FAT presario 5.7Gb). the unknown partition is where windows is\was.
you mentioned you saved files, which is the first thing to look after before messing (writing) to drive.

you should have made recovery disks before this happened but most people don't.

if you have saved all important data you should be able to start from recovery partition by tapping the F10 key when powering on.
this procedure will completely erase everything and re-install windows as it was when you first bought it.

if you want to try and resurrect the old system you have to fix the partition tables. i'm surprised that recovery consul did not fix your boot problem but if you are to attempt it again or some other partition table fix. DO NOT F--K with or format your recovery partition. you are going to need it. i would either use it now or try to create a bootable cd with it before messing further.

#11 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

If you still can't figure out what is occuring I would suggest using the bootcfg command
from the recovery command line tool:

bootcfg /scan

You should get a list of bootable windows, if you see any errors post it here.

You can attempt to repair on your own using:

bootcfg /rebuild

but I would recomment first posting the results of your current configuration
so we can see what is occuring.
Yoshistr Support Team

#12 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

I was able to factory restore with one of my recovery discs. i was able to restart it a couple times but now it wont boot. Wont boot from a cd or anything.

#13 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Try a new hard drive, if it doesn't work then you may have an issue where the psu is not
providing enough power to drive the hard drive (very unlikely).
If your hard drive has failed then you can buy a IDE or SATA to USB cable and try to recover files.
Yoshistr Support Team

#14 Anthony1s

Anthony1s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

I might not even fix it. I've been looking at laptops and should be able to get one in a month. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users