Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

With the suspect HD connected, see if you can boot into recovery console from your XP disk.

It's possible there was just damage done to you boot files and the HD may be ok, but the clicking noises are not a good sign.

When I get into Recovery Mode what will I do? It only show 1)C:WINDOWS and nothing else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

forum on your drive/fails

May be useful.

Absolutely explore all options!

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 January 2011 - 04:02 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#18 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

forum on your drive/fails

May be useful.

Absolutely explore all options!

Okay

#19 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

From the command prompt in recovery console enter the following, pressing "enter" after each line:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

#20 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

From the command prompt in recovery console enter the following, pressing "enter" after each line:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

Okay, I am about to try this now!

#21 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

So, what happened?

Frank O' The Mountain

#22 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

I have an external Tb hard drive, one day it dropped on the floor while working... It also makes clicking noises...
For a long time it wouldn't respond, apart from random attempts at auto-run which ended up freezing the computer.

One day I remembered safe mode. So, I booted into Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly while booting) and turned it on. After a while "external drive" apeared and eventually turned into "volume" and started auto-run, which I quickly cancelled.
I then took note of the volume letter and opened Task Manager, where I terminated the "Explorer service". This prevents Windows from trying to read contents ofthe disk.
After many hours (all night) it completed a line-command checkdisk and now I can save some of my information, although there are still clicks and I now turn it on to save my files.

I suggest you get your hands on an external harddrive box to put your disk in, the corrupted disk may be what's preventing the computer from booting! The disk can then be turned on AFTER the boot.
Follow the step I have described in bold, the command should be something like "chkdsk [volume letter] /r/f/x" It will take a very long time and may look like it's doing nothing half of the time. I know people here are wary of this command, but this has worked wonders for me.
Try that and see how you get on

Posted Image

#23 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

I would be very careful about these commands, they are primarily for recovering the Windows boot, which doesn't exist on that drive anyway

Posted Image

#24 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

I was pondering that myself as well.

I'm afraid of the automatic check windows does at boot time if there is a disk problem.
I have had that thing start moving, renaming, and deleting files.

Were you saying to kill explore.exe in task mgr?, then run from cmd?

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 05 January 2011 - 09:34 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#25 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Okay guys, my PC is running again. I took out the other hard disk. Sorry but I gave this a break because it gave me a Headache. Today I purchase a iMicro 3.5 Sata to Usb 2.0 case and installed it.I then turn it on and as I hear it start up, I heard three clicks. It is not being detected by my PC or Laptop. I am worrying BIG TIME!

#26 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Try reseating the RAM by removing each stick while the computer is unplugged leaving the HD attached the
power supply, you might also have to reset the bios settings by removing the CMOS battery for a minute while the
power cable is removed then replace the battery and replug the computer in and try again.
If none of these work, then you may need a new hard drive and use a linux distro to recover your files off the
damaged one.
Yoshistr Support Team

#27 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Try reseating the RAM by removing each stick while the computer is unplugged leaving the HD attached the
power supply, you might also have to reset the bios settings by removing the CMOS battery for a minute while the
power cable is removed then replace the battery and replug the computer in and try again.
If none of these work, then you may need a new hard drive and use a linux distro to recover your files off the
damaged one.

Thanks.

So is there hope if the Drive is gone I still can recover off the Hard Disk?

#28 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Just got off phone with ADR Data Recovery and they are saying $800 to $2600 dollars. That is unreal. She also told me not to turn on again or Damage even more. I saw this video where you just buy a part and it stops. Anyone heard of this.

DIY How to repair a completely dead hard drive with fried circuit board

If we can not post links I am sorry and will delete.

Edited by terrencej31, 05 January 2011 - 01:37 PM.

#29 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

I told ya, very expensive. You have nothing to lose by trying the main board swap on the HD.
I just don't know if a faulty board can make the thing start clicking, but it's worth a try.

The torx screw driver (star key) is the hardest part if you don't have a set of those.
Look at the hard drive to see the screws 1st. See if you have something that fits.

I did the same thing as the video twice, with success. I didn't wear the gloves though!
Main thing is to sit still somewhere without getting up and down out of your chair.
You don't want big static discharges.

I usually sit, then touch some metal away from my work, then proceed.
I hope you get your music back.

Frank O' The Mountain

#30 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

The problem is, you said it was recognized by your BIOS, that combined with the clicking usually means a mechanical failure rather than the circuit board, but that is not 100% and at this point you are about out of low cost options so it may still be worth a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users