Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 terrencej31

terrencej31

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

I have a Windows XP HD is 80 gb. I am a song writer and I create music and I bought 2 more Hard Drives for room and storage. One is and External Hard Drive 500 gb and other is a 1 tb Hard Disk that I installed inside computer. I've had the 1 TB Hard Disk for 11 months with no problems. Our power went out last week and when it came back on, I boot up the PC and it no longer works. "It is on a Power Surge protector." I go to turn on PC and it boots up and gets to the Windows screen and before the dots can go across the bar at the bottom it reboots. So I open the case and unplug the 1 Tb Hard Disk and turn off the External Hd then it works.

But, once I am able to log into Windows I have no way to get to my work. The External Hd comes on and works find but when I go to plug up the Hard disk inside the pc it does nothing. I went to My Comp>Manage>Storage>Device Manager and still nothing. In the Bios it shows up and tell my I have use 740 gbs. But it just is not showing up on my pc. Please help me. I really need the Hard Disk to work. I have 6 years of my work on it.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Do not plug in internal drives after the computer is on. The PC won't recognize them that way.

Don't panic! And take this slow. I understand. I'm a recording musician for over 25 years.

Are the internal drives IDE drives? (big ribbon cable), or sata (small cable)?

Looks like you might've blown the partition during the power fail, or there was a hardware failure on the tb drive.
It's weird that the PC wont even boot with the drive in.

Do you have another PC to try the tb drive in?
Does it spin up/make noise?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

I bought active partition recovery for like 50 bucks a few years ago, and it works fine.
http://www.partition-recovery.com

It's a bundle of programs. One works in dos mode.

But, not being able to access the drive at all is making me a little nervous here.
One thought I also had it that the main board may have fried on the hard drive.
If that is the case, it's some work to save the data. You might have to replace the main board on the bad drive.
What is the brand/model?

Do you know how to get to the bios at boot?
Wondering if the drive is being recognized by the mother board.
Maybe try it in a different port or mode?

Main thing is to take it slow. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here.
9 times out of 10, the data is still there, so don't give up.
Equally important is to not do anything stupid at this point!!

Also, if it does come up at some point and windows want to run scandisk on it, I would say NO (hit any key to cancel). It comes up fast. I say this because I lost a lot of files once during scan disk. They may have been gone already, but I would take my chances 1st and see whats there before I let windows "correct" the problem.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 January 2011 - 11:29 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

If the hdd is not mechanically damaged from the surge or having unplugged\plugged in while the PC was on here is a free alternative that might help.

If this is a SATA drive, as asked by Frank O' The Mountain you may have gotten away with it.

Also wondering, since it does show up in BIOS, does it show in Disk Management? start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Manegment.

Third Party Software Disclaimer: Please beaware that many free third party programs come bundled with unwanted\un-needed add-ons. Example, toolbars. Do NOT become click happy when installing such programs. Be aware what you are installing. UNcheck\opt out of any such additions. Selecting a Custom install when offered may be needed to do this.

Edited by ThunderZ, 04 January 2011 - 11:52 AM.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

He can't boot into windows with the drive attached.

Frank O' The Mountain

#6 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Wow, thanks for all the Replies. I did not expect such quick replies. To FrankOtheMountaiN, it is Sata cables.. All I have is a Sony laptop and it does spin when I plug it in.

To ThunderZ, It shows in Bios but not in Disk Management. It's a Samsung, not sure what else. I will have to go back into Bios. Will be back on at 1:30pm EST

Thanks

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

You can't see it in windows disk mgmt because you cant boot windows with it plugged in.
Internal hard drives are not plug and play.

I'm kind of stumped. Did you try booting to safe mode?

Frank O' The Mountain

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

This is why you should invest in a UPS, losing power while turned on can cause many problems, from data loss to hardware failure.

Do you have the XP installation disk?

#9 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Sorry back on.... I did not try safe mode but when I plug up hd I here 3 clicks. I am scared

You can't see it in windows disk mgmt because you cant boot windows with it plugged in.
Internal hard drives are not plug and play.

I'm kind of stumped. Did you try booting to safe mode?

#10 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I have my XP disc. I did not install XP on my hard Disk that is not working. I just wanted it for music only.

This is why you should invest in a UPS, losing power while turned on can cause many problems, from data loss to hardware failure.

Do you have the XP installation disk?

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Well there's a chance it's an electronics problem with the drive, and not a mechanical failure inside, so don't give up.
I would contact the drive manufacturer. What's the brand and model? See if they would sell you a main board.

If it was me, I would buy a new main board for the hard drive. If you are afraid to change it out, then have someone do it who is comfortable doing this. (Or buy the same exact HD used on ebay for the main board).

I had one drive that I shorted out on the case, and I changed out the main board with the same one, and I lucked out. Also did it for a friend too with success.

Clicking is scary, and usually means mechanical failure from what I've seen, but fried electronics could be giving it bad logic signals, so hang in there.

I am recommending fixing it yourself because physical data recovery of a drive that's in bad shape is very expensive.

Does it smell burnt? I would get more opinions before proceeding. I'm no expert, but I have performed a few miracles.

Is the clicking a new development?

If you change the board and it still clicks, only then I would I start getting more nervous.

It's a crap shoot when and how the power goes out, and what the computer happens to be doing at the time. A backup battery is worth it's weight in gold. I know you don't wanna hear that right now, but it's a great investment like PolaBar said. Also, I made many copies of my music. It's an art in itself to keep jumping formats and keeping the stuff intact. More stuff you don't wanna hear, but it has to be said. I feel your anguish, believe me.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 January 2011 - 03:37 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#12 terrencej31

terrencej31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Well there's a chance it's an electronics problem with the drive, and not a mechanical failure inside, so don't give up.
I would contact the drive manufacturer. What's the brand and model? See if they would sell you a main board.

If it was me, I would buy a new main board for the hard drive. If you are afraid to change it out, then have someone do it who is comfortable doing this. (Or buy the same HD used on ebay for the main board).

I had one drive that I shorted out on the case, and I changed out the main board with the same one, and I lucked out.
Also did it for a friend too with success.

Clicking is scary, and usually means mechanical failure from what I've seen, but fried electronics could be giving it bad logic signals, so hang in there.

I am recommending fixing it yourself because physical data recovery of a drive that's in bad shape is very expensive.

Does it smell burnt? I would get more opinions before proceeding. I'm no expert, but I have performed a few miracles.

Is the clicking a new development?

It is a Samsung Model: HD103UJ I

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

It does not smell burnt.

Edited by terrencej31, 04 January 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#13 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Logic board on ebay, 60.00

ebay logic board

60 bucks is worth a try!!

Make sure the #s are all the same. Revisions, etc.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 January 2011 - 03:42 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#14 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

With the suspect HD connected, see if you can boot into recovery console from your XP disk.

It's possible there was just damage done to you boot files and the HD may be ok, but the clicking noises are not a good sign.

Edited by PolaBar, 04 January 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

The clicking does`t sound promising.

Frank O' The Mountain`s suggestion is probably your next best logical step. Removing the Logic board is really pretty easy. Several screws, may require a special tip screw driver. There should only be one electrical connection\plug between the board and drive case.
Reverse the removal process to install the replacment board.

Another possible option is placing the troubled drive into an external enclosure\caddie. At least the machine should be able to boot with it attached in that manner. If Windows still does`t see it then a Linux live CD may be the next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users