Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Full- Temp User Profile Created, can't get old one back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spork92

spork92

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hello. Last year my computer hard drive crashed and a friend helped recover our files and cloaned everything onto a hard drive he had on hand, about 70gb. Well this week the hard drive suddenly became full and the comp went from working perfectly to...well not. I woke up one morning to find that it wouldnt open any files programs etc because disk was too full. I rebooted (cause that fixes everything, right??) and it wouldnt load my user profile it said it was loading a temporary profile because my disk was too full to load mine. This temp profile is very generic, no internet or programs loaded and obviously none of my personal files. I was able to find my files by going through "my computer" and finding them somehow so I know they are there. Anyway, I've deleted programs and files (not easy when it wont DO anything)and free'd up some space. The problem now is, I can not get my original profile back. I thought once there was enough space on the hard drive, it would just come back after a reboot, but it doesnt. There is one user profile (who i'm on now) that remained intact. Wierd. So, the big question is....HOW DO I RESTORE MY ORIGINAL PROFILE?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spork92

spork92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

no one can help?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

I think that the question should be...

Why don't you move data files to another hard drive, thereby providing Windows the opportunity to function as designed?

The vast majority of files which take up space on any hard drive...are data files, not programs...not Windows itself.

The amount of free space Windows requires on the system partition...will vary, according to who answers and their knowledge/experience level. IME, Windows needs at least 15% of the designated system partition...to be free space within that partition.

How large is your C: partition...and how much free space is reflected thereon at this moment?

Your analysis of what may be wrong...could be erroneously arrived at.

FWIW: The easy way to move files from one drive to another...is to attach the drive in question as a secondary drive...to a different system...and then move files from the drive in question...to another hard drive or other storage media.

Louis

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

You definitely need to make some room there, or get a bigger drive, I agree.

Rt clik My Computer and select "manage" from the drop down
Select local users and groups/users.
Does the ID in question have a red "X" next to it?
If so, rt clik and hit enable.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 spork92

spork92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

Hamluis- I have no idea what half the jargon is that you are using. I have 74gb hard drive and 203mb is available. I didnt do anything suddenly to fill up the computer so why did it suddenly stop funtioning. I've free'd up space and now its functioning fine, however I can't get my old profile back. I am aware I need a larger hard drive but I would like to recover my user profile before I get the new hard drive. That is the question. No need to be rude about it.

To the second person who answered: I tried looking in the manage folder in my computer and my profile does not have an X next to it. Now what...?

Thanks -Jen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users