Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

doubt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jose_007

jose_007

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

sir and friends,

Actually this is my friends problem.

For last few days his Vista laptop keeps stuck when at welcome screen.On booting using safe mode,the laptop works for about 2 minutes,then the hard drive light goes off,though everything remains on screen(In short laptop hangs).There is no recovery disc.It has just one unpartitioned hard drive and one recovery drive.Data of about 4GB is not backed up which is important

One of my friends suggested we could boot laptop using USB flash drive having ubuntu and then recover all the data before deciding to reformat.

My doubt is ......Is it possible to boot using two OS on just one hard disk ???

Can anyone suggest an alternative ?

Thanks
Jose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:30 AM

we could boot laptop using USB flash drive having ubuntu and then recover all the data

Yes, that is a good first step.

You will need two USB flash drives, one for Ubuntu, and one for the retrieval of your data.

Ubuntu will run as a LIVE operating system from the flash drive and there is no need to install it, or to add anything at all to the existing hard drive. Use the "Try Ubuntu" button, NOT the "Install Ubuntu" button, when booting from the USB flash drive.

Download Ubuntu and then follow the instructions (on the Ubuntu website) at Step2, to "Burn your CD or create a USB drive".

It works well (I have used this recently).

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 January 2011 - 12:32 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

Thanks.
But can you please elaborate as how ubuntu can bypass win vista OS and access the data..

Thanks
Jose

#4 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

This is by far the best guide I've seen to using Ubuntu for this purpose. As you'll realize he suggests you use a CD rather than a USB flash drive. However you can substitute in the instructions on the Ubuntu page AustrAlien provided if you want to use a USB.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#5 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

JosiahK,
Thanks for the guide.

@others,
Is there any chance there is hardware problem with hard disk because windows starts till welcome screen when started normally.There is no BSOD either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users