Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq nc6220 read error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techiemom

techiemom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

I bought a used HP Compaq nc6220. I upgraded the CD-RW to a uj832 DVD-RW burner; couldn't get it to work. I

used Nero, DVD decrypter, DVD shrink 32, InterVideo, Burn 4 free, Win DVD Creator 2. I wasn't even trying to copy

protected DVD's! All of these programs stop after encountering various read errors. I have tried 3 different

drives thinking maybe it was the drive itself. Updated the firmware for the drive; didn't work. uninstalled the

firmware driver and upgraded the BIOS and reinstalled the firmware for the DVD rom; didn't work. I am at my wits

end with this . Hoping someone has a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

You are receiving read errors? What type of DVD/CDs are you trying to read (commercial pressed or recorded)? You tried 3 different models of drives, or 3 different drives of the same model?
Does the old drive work?

Nero>Toolkit>Diskspeed>Scan- Scan a known good disk. Any errors?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 techiemom

techiemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Yes. the programs go part way through and stop with read errors. actually now 5 drives of the same model! (had a couple a people in mind. The last four came in a deal I couldn't pass up.) I don't even get to the point of using a particular medium; except for the last drive which actually burned one disk (Sony DVD-R). Oh , I see, commercially pressed and recorded. The old drive does work. I've tried Nero's benchmark test in the toolkit. I'll try it as you set out and get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users