Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IBM Think Pad T42/Win. XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adfergie

adfergie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:39 AM

Since I'm not very good at understanding system specs I'd appreciate some feedback on a just made purchase. I went looking for a used laptop at Amazon and ended up buying a still-in-the-box IBM Thinkpad T42 (first produced, I think, in 2005) for 160 bucks. It runs XP Professional and here, let me get to the specs I don't understand. The processor is an Intel Pentium 1.70GHz, 592MHz with 512 MBs of RAM.

The machine runs fast and has good functionality. But I'd appreciate your take on this older machine and did it really retail for over $1,500 when it was new? Thanks much,
Alan.

Edited by Andrew, 04 January 2011 - 03:48 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved From XP to New Computer Advice - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

Hi there, adfergie.

I'd say you got a reasonable deal on it. While it's certainly no speed demon, it's specs are about comparable with those of a modern netbook and netbooks run about $200-$400 brand new. Also, THinkpads have a very good reputation. I don't know how much it sold for when it was new, but $1,500 sounds about right.

Basically, as long as you weren't intending to render high definition video or play state-of-the-art 3D games then you should be set for a few more years at least. I think that you made a good purchase.

Edited by Andrew, 04 January 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#3 adfergie

adfergie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:40 AM

Many thanks Night Watchman. It's a portable fix for updating my I-Pod and it runs my BBC TV from the UK via a VPN connection, not it hi def though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users