Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What kind of server do i need?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 digdug18

digdug18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

I want a server to use as a HTPC, and NAS at the same time. I want to use windows as the OS if possible, mostly because I need to use utorrent for my torrents, whoch is required by the torrent site I use, bittorent can NOT be used. I'm guessing windows server 2008, unless I could use windows 7 as a server?

I'd like to keep the build under $600 but that is up in the air I guess, cheaper is always better.

I've never built a computer before, but have messed around with enough of the components that I feel comfortable doing it myself, so I guess my questions is will a standard ATX non specific server motherboard work? It will be serving files to my wife's laptop, my netbook running windows xp, ps3 and the tv itself as a monitor.

What requirements do I need for a video card as well, I will not be playing games on this pc, though do plan on using it to play movies and images. I'm thinking onboard video for the most part will do fine.

I'd also like to run a RAID 1 setup with some sata 3.0 7200 drives, perhaps 500gb.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digdug18

digdug18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

After looking around I'm thinking Windows Home Server will fit my needs, has anyone used this os?

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

I have and it sucks as a home theather pc believe me I have tried. I would do a win 7 home premium and use the media center in that. Also you could set up network shares for putting stuff on it.

The home server is great for backing up and that's pretty much it.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Either the win 7 referenced above or win xp media center edition. on board video is terrible for any htpc. A better solution is a fanless video card something like the following: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102902. Right now ATI cards IMO have the best video output quality. Also think about storage space since drives over 2TB are not reliablely bootable you may want to go with a decent RAID setup to up the capacity. Also if you use an add in adapter you can get a true RAID 5 giving you some data protection as well as an increase in speed. RAID 1 would work but you are essentially losing all of the storage space on the second drive since it is a mirror and a slight decrease due to the double writes taking place. I would shoot for at least 1 TB of storage as a minimum without knowing how much stuff you have.

For a good HTPC any good ATX board will do as long as it has all of the expansion slots you need to place all of the cards you want to use. For me the biggest concern would be the noise factor so plan on getting a good quality silent cooler for the CPU, a fanless power supply (if possible), and case with a good slient exhaust fan. After all you don't want to watch movies or listen to music over the hum of the HTPC.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I agree with Baltboy. Go with a RAID 0 if you want the speed and data or a RAID 1 if you want to make sure it is backed up.

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users