Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WINTRUST.DLL

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_byah687_*

Guest_byah687_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Ok, I have been struggling with an issue for the past 2 days. It's the first issue I have had on this computer with Windows 7 since I installed it well over a year ago.

Ok, I never really had any anti-virus software on the computer because a buddy of mine said he ran Windows 7 without anti-virus and didn't have any problems. Neither did I after 6 months, but finally caved and installed AVG 8 just in case. Also, I installed "Advanced System Optimizer" because I had it on XP and remember it being a very good program all around. Well, after a couple months it started bugging me about not having a legit copy (hahaha), so I got sick of that garbage and decided to uninstall it, along with Yahoo Messenger which I don't even use anymore. - Advanced System Optimizer uninstalled just fine. Then I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger and just at the end of the uninstallation, it gave me a "missing WINTRUST.DLL" error message. It removed Yahoo Messenger from my programs list, but I remained concerned about the DLL error message.

So, I shut the computer off and come back the next day. I turn the computer on, click on internet explorer and go to Yahoo. I notice that in the corner of the page it says I am still logged into one of my email accounts on Yahoo. I click "sign out" and it sends me to a connection error page saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The address for the page is: (http://mail.yahoo.com/;_ylt=A0WTfZh6cSJNWGkBtQObvZx4?.intl=us). I thought nothing of it, went back to Yahoo and tried it again. Same error. So I'm thinking Yahoo is having problems, right? Wrong. I couldn't log into Facebook, YouTube, or any other site either! Still can't!!! I went on my other computer and I could log in fine, so right there I knew I had a problem. Then I discovered I couldn't download anything at all. It says it's downloading, finishes... and then the file never shows up on the computer.

Long story short, I thought maybe it was an Internet Explorer issue, so I downloaded Firefox for the first time. Firefox allowed me to log into all of my online accounts (Yahoo email, Facebook, YouTube, etc)! Checked IE again and it wasn't working, but Firefox works? However, none of my downloads on Firefox work either. Nothing will download. So in order to fix this issue, I looked up "WINTRUST.DLL" on the internet. Of course, I could barely find ANYTHING helpful. I tried un-registering the wintrust DLL, then re-registering it using the command prompt. Didn't work. Still says it's missing. BUT..... I looked in the system32 folder and sure enough.... there it is, NOT missing. What the (blank) is going on?!?!?!?!

Somebody please help me! This is not a malware issue, because it happened when I uninstalled the Advanced System Optimizer. It somehow deleted WINTRUST.DLL, but I can still see it in my system32 DLL list. Somebody help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

That's one of the reasons, you don't use programs like "Advanced System Optimizer".
They deal with registry and system files - a disaster waiting to happen.

I won't even go into not having any AV program running.
BTW, AVG 8 is rather outdated AV program.

Do you have Windows 7 DVD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Guest_byah687_*

Guest_byah687_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

Regarding the question about me having my Windows 7 DVD..... all I have to say is "torrent ahoy!". Are you telling me to do a fresh install? I can do that, but I really really really really don't want to do that right now with all the programs I have installed for my filmmaking business. It would be a royal pain in the butt. I would prefer to exhaust every other option first.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Regarding the question about me having my Windows 7 DVD..... all I have to say is "torrent ahoy!".

Unfortunately, discussing this subject any further would be against this board rules.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Guest_byah687_*

Guest_byah687_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

How about instead of focusing on my copy of windows, why don't you address the questions I asked to begin with? You know, about the DLL file? Considering how that is the topic of this thread, and not my copy of windows.

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Perhaps here may help

Edited by PolaBar, 03 January 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

Provided there's no more discussion on illegal issues such as obtaining illegitimate copies of Windows there's no problem with this topic continuing.

byah687: it would be wise to avoid mentioning illegal activities here; even if you're kidding. That kind of stuff is taken seriously. If you choose to engage in those activities, that's your business. We don't want to hear about it though, alright? :wink:

In regards to your issue. . . my recommendation is to do a System Restore back to before you installed ASO (if you can go back that far), or to do a Repair Installation. Note that the latter of the two options will require your Windows 7 DVD.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 Guest_byah687_*

Guest_byah687_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Clearly I was joking, as I was using pirate humor. Ahoy? Get it? But even if I wasn't, I don't see the problem with it, nor do I see the issue of cracking a one-liner innocent joke like that. Moving on....

The issue has been resolved. I used the Windows 7 CD (no comment) and, despite not seeing any overall Windows repair option, I picked the "startup repair" and it went to work for about 10 minutes. It prompted me to restart and.... what do you know, Internet Explorer is letting me log into my online accounts again and downloading items overall is working again. Somehow, the "startup repair" fixed a web browsing issue??? Um, ok. Now all I gotta do is uninstall Firefox and I am back to normal on this PC.

Kind of a weird issue to get, and kind of a weird solution too. Man, computers are frustrating. Just glad that Windows 7 is such a good operating system, after all this issue was human error (actually Advanced System Optimizer's fault) and I haven't had a single problem with it in over a year of running 7. Just FYI, yeah, do not use Advanced System Optimizer. It worked great on XP and helped out a lot, but it likes to delete DLL files on Windows 7 for some strange reason.

Curious, what were you saying about not needing anti-virus? That one is beyond me.

---
PS: My system restore went back barely 2 days so that was useless for me. I know you can select to make that go back further, using more computer space, but still..... why would they do that? I remember on XP I could go back months and months...

Edited by byah687, 04 January 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#9 Guest_byah687_*

Guest_byah687_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

PS: My system restore went back barely 2 days so that was useless for me. I know you can select to make that go back further, using more computer space, but still..... why would they do that? I remember on XP I could go back months and months...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users