Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Dell Dimension 4600

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lchageman

lchageman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi,
Looking to get some more mileage out of my Dell PC. I have already purchased extra RAM but want to change out my CD RW drive(I installed it from my old computer-this one only came with a CD-ROM drive and a floppy drive) to a DVD RW and add an internal backup hard drive (as advised by some on this site rather than an external drive). Right now I am operating with no backup of any kind!!!!!
Any advice as to what are good drives to purchase. Any thoughts on LightScribe or SATA vs. IDE?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Well my advice is to buy a SATA rather then a IDE. I don't use LightScribe.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thanks killer x525! I'm thinking now of buying a regular hard drive (thinking of wd 500 GB) and a case with a fan to make my own external backup drive rather than installing a secondary in my existing case (I already have some cooling issues and read that heat is the main problem with drives, especially the retail externals). Is the hp 24x multiformat dvd/cd writer (dvd 1260i) a good option for replacing my cd writer?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Just remember, it has to be the same interface.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

OK Thanks.

#6 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

I have one of these computers around and i was also thinking about trying to bring some life back into it. I want to start on my first build but it is so expensive! So i started wondering what i could do to try to upgrade this old dell. It has the old Pentium 4 and is slow slow slow. What is the first thing a person would do to get this grandpa up and running again? I don't care if it is labor intensive because this stuff is fun to me and i would love to help out the owner. Do u think i should just up grade the CPU? I would prefer to get my hands dirtier than that. :wacko:
Namaste

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

I have one of these computers around and i was also thinking about trying to bring some life back into it. I want to start on my first build but it is so expensive! So i started wondering what i could do to try to upgrade this old dell. It has the old Pentium 4 and is slow slow slow. What is the first thing a person would do to get this grandpa up and running again? I don't care if it is labor intensive because this stuff is fun to me and i would love to help out the owner. Do u think i should just up grade the CPU? I would prefer to get my hands dirtier than that. :wacko:

You can't upgrade the processor to a better one because it uses a socket 478.

>Michael 

#8 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

Depends on what you're using it for shane-n. When I first started asking about speed issues I was having, noone advised me to upgrade the CPU. Everyone said I needed more RAM and I should have a backup drive. My current build only has a 74.4 GB hd and 512 MB RAM. I bought 2 GB of RAM and am currently in the process of adding a second drive to free up the OS. I think the extra RAM alone will greatly improve the speed.

#9 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I have 3gb of ram in the system already and the computer is used for very basic uses. With that chipset there is no processors that are better than what i ahve or are u saying it is so old that is would be hard to find an upgrade that is available and in good shape still? I mean what can i do to blow the dust off and try to get some better performance out of this thing? keepin mind i have never had a case open in my life. I have read a few books and u se a few forums to learn. This dell is kinda my experement to try to familurize myself with hardware. After 7 years or 9 or what ever it has been do parts burn up and go bad? I did open the case and it is pretty dirty. Would taking it apart and blowing all the parts off be a good idea?
Namaste

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have 3gb of ram in the system already and the computer is used for very basic uses. With that chipset there is no processors that are better than what i ahve or are u saying it is so old that is would be hard to find an upgrade that is available and in good shape still? I mean what can i do to blow the dust off and try to get some better performance out of this thing? keepin mind i have never had a case open in my life. I have read a few books and u se a few forums to learn. This dell is kinda my experement to try to familurize myself with hardware. After 7 years or 9 or what ever it has been do parts burn up and go bad? I did open the case and it is pretty dirty. Would taking it apart and blowing all the parts off be a good idea?

I have my 6 years old custom built pentium 4 which is still running pretty fast. My brother plays his games such as sims 3 etc. I was amazed how it could run some modern day games. For me over the years i upgraded the graphics card and hard drive which i can upgrade the graphics card again but it's too expensive. Take of the cpu cooler and give that a clean.

>Michael 

#11 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

There is a tutorial on this site on cleaning the inside of the computer, which gives you a step by step on how to get to everything. Gunked up fans can really screw up your hard drive; that's how I burned out my last computer. It's not that complicated in there-I've switched out graphics cards and the CD Drives before; you just have to remember to hook everything back up correctly when you're through (master, slaves, power connections) (and back up your data first before you go changing anything!!!!!) I'm assuming you have all the necessary antispyware and antivirus programs to keep out any nasties that can really slow down your system.
My hd is pretty much maxed out; We have SIMS games, Roller Coaster Tycoon, War and Golf Simulations on there, tax programs, as well as the usual pictures, iTunes, movies, etc. and my processor seems to still be handling it all fine for the amount of free space that's left, and it's still ok with the original graphics card. I've been very happy with this computer, which is why the upgrades, instead of going to a newer model. We have 5 separate users on it and it's still hanging in there.

Back to my system: Killerx525 am I O.K. with getting a SATA DVD writer if my other drives are currently on the IDE cable? I believe there is a SATA connection in there.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

I had a look at the specification again and there should be SATA connection. Just wondering here when did you buy your Dell desktop?

>Michael 

#13 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I bought this one in December 2003.

#14 lchageman

lchageman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Hey shane-n if you're still reading, you shouldn't really be having performance issues if you've got 3GB RAM and you're just using your computer for basic uses. See what happens when you clean it, which is something you should do once in a while anyway (A good indication of fan problems is if it's really noisy). How much free space do you have on your hd and what OS are you using? If your free space is enough for your OS to run optimally, and you've done all the normal stuff (dump old programs and temp files, defrag, run your AV/AS programs), I would check with the virus forums and maybe post a log to see if you've got something hidden. For the last couple years, I've dealt with hijacker issues and sometimes you think you're clean and there's still stuff lurking in the registry, slowing down your operations. I have good AS/AV installed, but if you don't keep the database updated and run your manual ones regularly and occasionally sweep with an alternate or two, stuff sneaks in from just daily internet stuff. I have more problems since we got a broadband connection; you really have to stay on top of the maintenance. Some of these guys are really, really difficult to remove completely; this site has saved my computer at least 3 times. Also, sometimes you have stuff running in the background you really don't need; some programs are real hogs. I got rid of the Norton Antivirus Suite that came installed as soon as my subscription was up; it really slowed my computer down when it was running and I found it missed a lot of stuff. If you haven't tried Soluto, you might give it a shot; it's freeware that identifies everything that starts up when your computer boots and tells you what you don't need, what maybe you can delay and also what you shouldn't touch. It decreased my boot times quite a bit.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Have a look at this topic.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users