Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrive Freezes Windows, Forcing Reboot?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sometimes_Y

Sometimes_Y

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

So i have Windows XP SP3, and a 250GB Western Digital E-HDD. My computer is 100% peachy when the drive is unplugged. However, whenever i plug it in and go to "My Computer" or some command of the liking, a dialog box pops up saying "Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Hardisk1\DR2 |Cancel|Try Again|Continue|" It does not matter what option i choose, it just freezes my computer causing me to reboot and unplug the drive. My Local HD is C: and the external HD is J:, so i don't think there's a drive letter confusion. Please help me, i can't use my drive! Also, i don't see how i can fix this on account of the drive freezing my computer upon plugging it in.

Thanks!

here's a pic of the problem, not my pic tho. Example

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2011 - 09:28 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users