Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blzbuh

blzbuh

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hello great folks,

My dilemma started without any change in software or hardware, I simply tried to boot one day and windows would not load, 'a disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to reboot' error displayed. Per some of the stickies here on the site I tried the western digital diagnosis and found no errors. I then downloaded the xp recovery iso, rant the chkdsk /r and completed, then tried the fix boot and received the following error upon boot up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

After a little bit of research online I once again tried the recovery console disc and attempted this fix per the microsoft forums:

At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

1. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
2. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
3. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

after completing this I could get to the boot option screen and select the new boot config but I still get the same error.

Thanks in advance, you guys provide an amazing service.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

See if that takes care if it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 blzbuh

blzbuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Same result. The attrib typing you have above wouldnt let me enter as written so i did each dash seperately. Is that right?

I know have 4 seperate options when it asks which version of windows to boot.

Thanks

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Yes you can do it that way if you need to

Rebuilding the boot.ini by using bootcfg /rebuild then fixboot should not leave 4 startup options as the boot.ini file should be rebuilt.

I have used this many times to fix the hal issue
Make sure you hit enter after each line and post any error messages if you get any.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

you can copy the hal.dll from another working xp system, and copy it to your system32 folder.

#6 blzbuh

blzbuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

you can copy the hal.dll from another working xp system, and copy it to your system32 folder.

Thanks caperdog, can I access the system32 folder without being in windows?

#7 blzbuh

blzbuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Yes you can do it that way if you need to

Rebuilding the boot.ini by using bootcfg /rebuild then fixboot should not leave 4 startup options as the boot.ini file should be rebuilt.

I have used this many times to fix the hal issue
Make sure you hit enter after each line and post any error messages if you get any.

I think the reason I have 4 options is because I have done the rebuild that many times. I do not get any errors until I reboot and the same missing hal file message appears.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

"can I access the system32 folder without being in windows?"

yes, it could be done with a dos boot disk if you know the commands, however a linux boot cd may be easier as it will give you a graphical interface that is more windows like. Ubuntu cd is a large download so maybe you could try DSL at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

not sure if it will make a difference but i would get the file from a system running the same service pack as you. (i.e. SP2 or SP3)

#9 blzbuh

blzbuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Any other ideas before I go this linux route. I feel like I need to clean out the other boot options somehow.

Thanks.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

can you boot to "safe mode" ? you could insert the file then.
if you have a floppy drive download dos boot disk. add hal.dll to the disk.
command = copy a:\hal.dll c:\windows\system32 (enter)
overwrite? y (for yes)

to correct boot options I would try Eyesee's above post again to del boot.ini and rebuild.

by the way what are the boot options ? are they all "windows xp professional" or are some "windows xp setup"

Edited by caperdog, 04 January 2011 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users