Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RyanE.

RyanE.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hello. Can someone help me? I have a newly put together computer (processor and motherboard) and the new hardware seems to be working. However, I go to boot up the computer and it is not booting up Windows XP (Pro) from my harddrive. THe hard drive is the one from my old computer so I know it works and has an OS on it. I power up, it asks if you want to bring up Windows in Safe Mode or to use past configuration. No matter which one I click on, it seems to try for a couple of seconds and then automatically reboots and eventually goes back to the screen asking how I wanna boot up Windows. Does anyone have a suggestion??

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Windows has the drivers from the old computer and can't load what it needs for the new system off the hard drive.

This is fairly easy to solve.

Insert your xp disk and boot from the cd. when it comes to the screen where it asks if you want to install repair console say no.

At the next screen it will offer you a choice of repair or reinstall current operating system. You could go either way, but I would recommend reinstalling, unless you have some files that you want to save from your old system. In that case choose repair, this will preserve your files and settings and install the drivers that windows needs for the new setup.

#3 RyanE.

RyanE.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that.
Is there a best way to tell it to boot from CD?? At one point it said Click "C" to boot from disk but then it wouldnt do anything after that.
Also, the mainboard came with a Drivers, etc CD to use, should I use that to install the new drivers instead?

Thanks again.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:18 PM

When the computer first starts, go into the bios setup, usually f2, esc or del key, but it should say.

Change the boot order there to have the cd drive ahead of the hard drive. Exit bios, restart and it should boot from the windows disk.

#5 RyanE.

RyanE.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

Ah, great. Thank you. I did get into Bios before, just didnt change that order, figuring once it tried and failed with the hard drive it would then try the cd. Thanks again.

#6 RyanE.

RyanE.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

I tried to boot up from the disc and the only change from before is that it came to a line that said "boot from CD:" but it wouldnt let you type anything there. THen eventually went to the screen asking what mode I want to open Windows in (Safe Mode, etc.). Then when pushed it would just reboot again as it did before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

We'll need more info on your system in order to give more advice.

Let us know the make and model of your motherboard (and some other system specs to help out) and we should be able to figure a way to get you in there.

Just in case - is the motherboard new, and can you exchange it if it's defective?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

You need to change the boot order to have cd drive first then hard drive.

Normally it will pause for a second to check the cd drive, but if there is not a bootable disk in the drive it will go on to the next item on the list.

Unfortunately if it cannot boot from the hard drive it just stops and goes no further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users