Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Old HDD and Copying onto New Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 galatea77

galatea77

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hello and Happy New Year from Ireland.

I finally found the courage to open the old Dell 8200 I inherited from my father and install a new IDE. (In the course of cleaning a viscious worm, I was told the old drive had a "bad block" and I should replace it.) Now I want to use DriveImage XML to copy the old drive directly to the new, but as I'm quite computer illiterate, I have some very basic questions:

1. Will the "copy" include the OS (XP Pro in this case)?

2. (a) When I searched for the new drive in Computer Management, a wizard appeared and I followed it and ended up with the new disk "Dynamic" instead of "Basic" like the old one. Is this an issue?
(B) How do I partition the new disk? The old one looks like it has 2 partitions: "31 MB FAT" and "74.49 GB NTFS".

You're probably rolling your eyes by now, but any help you can give me will be much appreciated!

Btw, I did read the bleeping tutorial on how to backup and restore your hard drive with DriveImage XML, but this entailed reinstalling the OS rather than cloning it.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Sydney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lchageman

lchageman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

I'm going to clone my existing drive myself (creating an external backup system) and am in the same boat as you- don't know how to partition the new drive, etc, so can't help you there-but I know a cloning and backup program you can buy for $49 is Acronis True Image 2011. It will preserve your operating system so you can boot from the new drive. This program images your existing drive exactly, so you need to get an answer from someone more knowlegeable than I am on whether you would still end up with the "bad block" on your new drive.

#3 galatea77

galatea77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hey Ichageman. Thanks for your input. I think the "bad block" is on the actual drive itself; the guy in my local computer store said I should be able to clone and copy everything.(I'm very hard up right now, so trying not to spend any more on this project.) I just changed the new drive from Dynamic to Basic and created the partition using Computer Management (child's play that, a couple of steps with a wizard). Good luck to both of us...

I HOPE AN EXPERT WILL BE READING THIS SOON AND CAN REPLY TO ME: I formatted the partition to get NTFS, even though DriveImage XML says formatting is not necessary before doing the drive-to-drive copy. Then I tried to do the drive-to-drive copying, but first was told the new drive couldn't be "locked." I clicked Ignore and the copying started but got a message after about 15 minutes that there was a problem and the copying had failed. Sorry to say I didn't write down the error message, but I think it said something about a corrupted file. ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

Regards,
Sydney

#4 redskyharbor

redskyharbor

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I just recently replaced my 160gb system drive with a 300gb WD Velociraptor, I used XXClone to transfer the files (it's free, and it makes an *exact* copy of the source drive to the target drive), but I had to use the Windows 7 install disc to make the drive bootable again. The program is capable of making drives with XP installed bootable during the transfer though. Very good program, though I'd say if you're relatively inexperienced with computers it's probably best to get an expert to look at it just in case. It would be well worth taking it to a local computer store, and tell them exactly what you want doing. But if you're absolutely sure you want to do it yourself, then I'd recommend backing up any files that are important to you, as well as a list of stored passwords in case the old drive decides it wants to crap out, which is unlikely, but possible, and safe is better than sorry. Remove the old drive and boot from the new one to make sure everything is kosher, if the new drive won't boot, then just boot from the old one.

Good luck mate, and get in touch if you need a hand. :thumbsup:

Edited by redskyharbor, 07 January 2011 - 07:36 PM.

#5 galatea77

galatea77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thank you redskyharbor! I've downloaded XXClone and it looks excellent so am going to give it a try. (I wonder if you'll be notified of this message or if I need to send it directly. Will check on that.) Thanks again.

#6 galatea77

galatea77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Success yayyyy! XXClone successfully (and smoothly and quickly) copied my whole hard drive C: onto the new drive including OS XP Pro, and with a few tweaks courtesy of their Help menus, I'm now able to boot from the new drive. Just have to make it the default. Thanks for your help fellow Bleeping members!

Ciao.
Sydney

#7 galatea77

galatea77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

PS-Will make a donation as soon as I am able. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic