Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it my battery or charger that's faulty?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tonyten

tonyten

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have an ACER Aspire 1313LC laptop. About 12 months ago I was having problems with the computer closing down of it's own accord. A friend of mine took it away to investigate. He told me to get him a new battery for the machine as he thought that was the problem. However, if I understand correctly, with a new battery you should first fully charge it, but my friend never bothered to do this. So, the computer worked fine as long as it was plugged into the mains adapter. However, if you unplugged it, it either went to black screen immediately or only lasted a very short time before shutting down. It's been like this for approximately a year.

I now find that the computer won't run at all without mains power, even though it shows the battery as having a full charge. Do I need a new battery or does the fault lie with my charger?

Regards Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

While not charging it fully will likely deplete the life of the battery, I doubt that it would be to the extreme that you are describing here.

It doesn't sound like the AC adapter is at fault though, since it runs fine while plugged into the adapter. Can you run the computer with the battery removed? If so, then your AC adapter is running fine.

What if you turn the computer off and allow it to charge fully, then remove the AC adapter and try to turn on the computer, will it allow you to boot, and if so how long will the charge last?
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#3 tonyten

tonyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'll try your suggestions and post asap.

Regards.

#4 tonyten

tonyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

no it wont run without the charger connected!!!
Regards

#5 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

I'm assuming that means you are able to run it with the battery out of the computer just using AC power? If this is the case, your adapter is fine and your battery is not holding a charge at all.
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

#6 tonyten

tonyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

no- it wont run with the battery removed it will only run with the battery in with the AC connected. It indicates a full charge but if you remove the AC it either goes black screen or shuts down completely
Rgd

Edited by tonyten, 06 January 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

Warranty still good?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Something sounds screwy. It almost sounds as if they're both faulty, but I wouldn't know where to begin. If it's not running on AC power alone, that usually means that your AC adapter is no good.

Let's take a look at your power saving settings. Open your power settings as described for your operating system below. Make sure that when you're on battery, it isn't set to shut off monitor immediately or something screwy like that.

Windows XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx

Vista: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms700612%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

#9 msgplacide

msgplacide

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

I have seen this problem before but usually if you plug the computer and remove the battery it works fine, and that would be the battery that is faulty. Anyways I'm a big fan of desktop computers because they have longer life spans. A laptop lasts only 2 to 5 years, but a desktop can run for 10 years.
Asus M4A79 Delux
AMD Phenom™ II X4 920 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
7166MB RAM Kingston PC5300 DDR2 667MHz
2 x 500GB hard drive
800Watt Antec Power Supply
Check out my sites
online millionaire satellite direct

#10 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

A laptop lasts only 2 to 5 years, but a desktop can run for 10 years.

True story. I still have my desktop from 2003, and the only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is that the power supply died. It's only a ~$40 part, but I'd rather not put any more money into a computer I'm gonna wind up replacing in the near future anyway.

It's very strange that neither are working independent of each other, but with the battery and AC adapter it works. I've never seen this problem before which is why I suggested checking the power settings. Maybe he has it set to turn off after ~1 min on battery or something and the battery is really fine.

#11 tonyten

tonyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

Yes, I have tried everything but nothing seems to work. The most annoying thing is if I forget to connect my power supply before switching my computer on it will start to boot up but I can't see the screen - it's just black. I can see it very faintly but I can't really make anything out. It makes no difference if I then connect the charger although it shows it's connected and charging. I have to switch off then restart with the charger connected. Once on if I check the battery status it indicates a full charge. I think I am going to have to accept it as it is.

Thanks and regards

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users