Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway W350A laptop shuts off unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chuck239

chuck239

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

I have a Gateway W350A laptop running Windows Vista and it has begun shutting down suddenly. Problem started several months ago and I created a new user profile and the new one worked without shutting down. However, this past week it seems to shut down on any profile I use. The laptop is about 3 years old, the power supply is brand new but the battery is original and holds a charge for about 20 min. I do have a dual cooling fan that it sits on when being used. I also installed CoolTemp to monitor the core temp, Adaware, Malwarebytes & AVG. Been able to run them and have found no issues. Checked Event Monitor and it shows "shut down, undetermined reason" (I'm trying to remember the exact wording since I'm on a diff computer now). Wondered if it's the battery, could it be run on AC without a battery installed? Could it be overheating? Thought about sitting it on top of ice packs when I use it (lol) If I can get it to stay on long enough, I can check the core temp. Is possibly a software issue and should I try system restore?

Any help greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chuck239

chuck239
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

just bumping this back up since no help has appeared yet

#3 charbo17

charbo17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Any news on this? I have the exact same problem. I had a nasty virus that was stopped me from running .exe's but fixed it by deleting the virus (mostly located in app data) and running virus scans. I am not using a battery. Sometimes I turn the computer on for several hours but then on reboot it only stays on for a minute or less. If I keep trying to reboot after it shuts down it might only stay on for 20 seconds. I replaced the power adapter but that didn't work. Now my only guesses are: Power jack needs to be resoldered, temperature readings are off and causing it to shut down, capacitors are damaged. I'm going to check the capacitors this weekend and see if they are pushed out or leaking. Also, i can check the solder points on the power jack. If I have to, I'll reapply thermal paste to the heat sink. Fan is free of dust and since the device can stay on for hours sometimes I don't think it's heat related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users