Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to have different DNS servers on the same router?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hello... My question is if it is possible for two or more computers that use the same router to use different DNS servers? That is, each computer to be configured to use different DNS servers? Can this be done? The computers are not really set as a network. We just share the same router and modem.
Our connection is Virgin broadband in UK.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

I do not brlieve you can have more then one DNS server on a router.
Several may be listed but. But they are as a primary and a secondary.

What you should be able to do is set up DNS servers on a by PC basis. Entering the preferred DNS servers in the Network Properties of each PC manually.

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

What you should be able to do is set up DNS servers on a by PC basis. Entering the preferred DNS servers in the Network Properties of each PC manually.

So in that case each computer will be using different DNS servers even though they will be using the same router (and modem), right?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

That would be my guess. Not 100% for sure.

Hoping some one will jump in and verify or not.

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

Thank you ThunedrZ. I'm sure there is someone on this forum that can confirm it.

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

You do not list them in the router, however you can edit the settings on each PC to assign custom DNS IPs to each computer. This bypasses the default DNS servers of the router/modem.

PS: Why would you want to have different though?

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

You do not list them in the router, however you can edit the settings on each PC to assign custom DNS IPs to each computer. This bypasses the default DNS servers of the router/modem.

PS: Why would you want to have different though?

As I said, I share the router with other people so I can't have them all change the DNS servers to the ones of my preference. I think the ones I am using are better than the default ones. :)

#8 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Most users can't tell a difference unless their is actually a problem from the servers. I was asking to see if you were attempting to fix some other problem you didn't list in your post.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for verifying NpaMA. Thought I was giving correct info. Always appreciate being told if it`s correct or told if it`s wrong. :thumbup2:

#10 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thank you guys. :thumbup2:

#11 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

A late bump, but I'm in a shared property and my Mac flags up the wifi as security problem and is WPA, but everyone else doesn't have this message, nor my iPhone, and the owner says the router is WPA2.

Any idea why this might be occurring?

#12 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hello

It would be better if you created your own thread about this.

Perhaps the mods can split it up?

tfn

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

A late bump, but I'm in a shared property and my Mac flags up the wifi as security problem and is WPA, but everyone else doesn't have this message, nor my iPhone, and the owner says the router is WPA2.

Any idea why this might be occurring?

Your wireless adapter security settings don't match the router's.

#14 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thanks JWoods, i changed it and now it's on WPA2.

Having a look around the advanced settings, is there any reason why two DNS servers are listed under the DNS sub setting? Also it says i am using Passive FTP, is that good? I read that it could potentially be a security concern, so unchecked the box, but when i then try and apply, i look again and it remains checked. Any idea why, or what the implications might be? 

This is on a Mac. 

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

The principle is that if the "main" DNS server is down, the next DNS server will take over. Some router firmware will allow you to enter three DNS servers.

I would have to see the settings section you're referring to.

Take a screenshot of the settings, post the images on a site such as Dropbox, Imgur, etc. and paste the links to the images in the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users