Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Computer Sleeps, Will Not Wake. Must Take Battery Out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cnewport

cnewport

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

It's an HP running Vista, and now, for some reason, it puts itself, apparently, in sleep mode. Normally, when I would press the power button to turn it back on, nothing happens. Holding the power button down does not generate a hard restart. I shelved it for a few months, and just turned it on today. It booted normally, updated a few things that were out of date, and then, during dinner, apparently shut itself down again. Could not force it up. Unplugged it, removed battery, and then put it back together and it booted. I now have it in safe mode w/ networking. Not sure if it will stay on or not, but would love to work with you again to see if I can get it up to snuff. I already wiped the HD on this machine about a year ago because it had way too many issues due to crap my wife downloaded, and would rather try to figure it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:27 AM

hello,
have you tried "change when the computer sleeps"? start>control panel>power options>change when the computer sleeps (left hand side), in the "put the computer to sleep" drop down box select never (on battery and plugged in)....click save changes...

good luck

ps you can also just click the battery icon (next to clock) and choose "more power options"
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 cnewport

cnewport
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

I will try that, but I think the bigger problem is that it won't re-start when the power button is pressed/keys are pressed, etc. I am out of office today, and will try changing the settings when I get back, but do you have any suggestions or known causes for being unable to get the computer "back" when it has gone dark? It remains plugged in, with the lights slowly blinking, and, where in the past I have been able to press a key or use the power button to bring it back up, neither of those options works in this case. Thoughts?

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

this should make it never go dark...let us know please....

thanks
kenny
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users